Thursday, December 22, 2011

Christmas Traditions

I love Christmas traditions! The trees, the decorating, the special foods, the books.....I love it all!  When Louis Dean and I married we added a special tradition of our own.
As a second grade school teacher he would direct the Christmas play. He LOVED doing 'How The Grinch Stole Christmas.'


This is one of the copies he kept from the 1994 production.


So for the past few years we have hosted a Christmas dinner with our favorite neighborhood children and their parents. We set the date early in the season and try to plan it for the last day of school before the Christmas break when the kids get out early.
Yesterday was that day!


 


They arrived a few hours before the parents so we could make some Coffee Filter Angels. Even BOYS can do crafts!


Big Sister made one for Little Sister.


They crafted a whole CHOIR!!


Then we played games!
Aren't these kids CUTE???
And they are SWEET, too!!
I asked them to count the Christmas Trees in our house!
That was a pretty good game!


"Oh, LOOK!!! Another one!!"
I think they came up with TEN trees!

We always do a craft and then make a candy.
This year we made 'White Trash.'
I have made TEXAS Trash for years and years but WHITE Trash was new to me.
I can thank Linda at Coastal Charm for the recipe.


After the parents arrived and we had dinner it was time for Louis Dean to do what Louis Dean loves best......a reading of  'How the Grinch Stole Christmas!'


When he finished we all gave him a round of applause!
Afterwards we sat around visiting for a bit.......


The kids enjoyed all the decorations.
It is so much fun to WATCH children having fun!

Louis Dean and I sat in front of the fireplace after they all left and talked of Christmas memories. I think we made a few more this year.

Today has been quiet.
The weather was nice and Louis Dean was able to go outside and play!
He chopped wood and cleaned a water fountain.
He filled bird feeders and played with our cat.


This is one SPOILED cat!!


She does not like to be disturbed when she is sitting on Louis Dean's lap!


I guess we are as foolish about our little Maggie as some people are about their children!

So it has been a relaxing day.
Tomorrow the pace quickens as we approach Christmas Eve!
I will take Mother to get her hair done and pick up a few things at the grocery store.
Summer is bringing Raynie over in the afternoon - I am looking forward to that!
Amber and Mike are returning from Italy. That whole seven hour time difference will certainly create some major jet lag!

But for the moment all is quiet.
The dog is already asleep in her kennel.
Louis Dean is in his easy chair petting the cat.
The fire has burned down to gently stirring flames.
I think it is time for a cup of Sleepy Time Tea and head for bed.
Those flannel sheets and faux fur cover will feel good tonight.
As I pull the covers up I will spend a few minutes in prayer thanking God for all his blessings.
All is right in my world this night.
I pray it is in yours as well.












10 comments:

Pondside said...

Merry Christmas Linda, to you and Louis Dean. You are blessing to your family and your community - how I'd love for my grandchildren to have had an evening like you describe! Such generosity and memory-making for those children.

Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas Linda. So glad you are having a wonderful holiday season. Mine has been the best ever this year too. Life is good. Luann

Kelly said...

Sounds like a Norman Rockwell Christmas at your house. Everyone must love coming to your house. I know I would. It's nice that your grandkids don't mind making crafts. We live in an age where so many kids prefer the faster pace of electronic gizmos now. Thanks for sharing your fun day.

Mummers AKA Summer said...

How wonderful! I loved reading your blog this morning. Happy Holidays Momma!

Vee said...

Oh to be a child in your neighborhood! What a special time you gave them and to think that they'll remember it with great joy forever. So cool! Love the photo of your hubby reading How the Grinch Stole Christmas. The ambience in your home is just marvelous.

Vee said...

"ambiance" I mean! Some days I can spell...

Judy said...

What a fun tradition you have going in your neighbourhood! Lucky them...to have you planning this event.

Blessings to you and yours this Christmas!

Auntie sezzzzzz... said...

Precious traditions...

Have a lovely Christmas Eve and Christmas, Dear One.

Gentle hugs,
"Auntie"

Lynne said...

Merry Christmas, Linda and LD!
You are such a joy to visit!
I so wish you were my neighbors!
~Lynne
[withLove]

Carla said...

What a beautiful table you set! The Testy Maggie picture made me laugh. Those little Angels that the neighbor Angels made were really pretty. They must of had a good teacher.