Thursday, December 1, 2011

Coffee Filter Angels!


I decided to decorate the foyer with gold and angels this year!
I have a pretty good collection.

When Amber and Ben were growing up we would make angels every year for Christmas. We made them from macaroni, pine cones, cardboard tubes - all sorts of things. My favorite, though, is......



.....the coffee filter angels! This one is from 1993 I think.
We made HUNDREDS!
All we needed were inexpensive coffee filters, marbles for the head, hot glue and trims.


Super easy to make!


I used the same technique for angels made from satin circles and lace.



I have used a variety of fabrics and love them all.
You form a little halo from gold chenille wire.
We have even brushed the plain coffee filters with metallic craft paint.
It's a great craft for kids and can be done a thousand different ways.
Trimmed with satin and pearls or simple ribbons.

I still have a craft box of angel heads, wings and halos in my sewing room.
Perhaps I will make some new ones with my favorite neighborhood children.
We are having them over for crafts with the kids and then the parents will be joining us all for dinner later this month. Louis Dean reads 'How the Grinch Stole Christmas.'
It has become a tradition!


I have a lot more decorating to do!


The foyer is done.....


and I am loving the golden glow!


As I move forward to another room - I keep going back to the previous one and adding more little touches.
I hung my fresh evergreen garland in the den along with some white lights and a vintage wired edged brown paper garland from the 90's! I LOVE how it not only LOOKS like Christmas but SMELLS like it as well!!


I love this manger scene my good friend and next door neighbor gave me!
She brought it back from her trip to Malaysia.
I keep this displayed year round!

As I unpack the decorations I am also enjoying my memories!
I SO love all my Christmas things!


It is December 1st!!!

Merry Christmas!!



10 comments:

Joy@aVintageGreen said...

You are sharing your wonderful home and decorations with so many, not just your fellow bloggers but with real little people for crafts and their parents for a time away from home fellowship. Traditions. Story reading. Family, friends, viewers. How wonderful.
- Joy

Deb said...

oh Linda you gave me a wonderful idea with the coffee filter angels...every year I try to do a little something to take to a nursing home...this year I've been at a loss...wa laa I read your blog...big light bulb goes off...thank you sweet friend...are yall going to the Christmas parade on Saturday?

Auntie sezzzzzz... said...

The "Golden Glow" in your home, must be wonnnnnnnnnnnderful. I love such too.

Also love gold and white. Your angels are the sweetest!

"The orange-scented zephyrs stirred, the branches rustled, and the tinsel crackled like merry music, to which the sparkling lights danced."
~~E.T.A. Hoffman "The Nutcracker"

LV said...

That is a great Christmas tradition. More families need to do this or something similar. I love all the creations you and family have done.

Kelly said...

Your homemade angels are sweet. I never thought of making them from coffee filters. clever! Your foyer looks very pretty now.

Bev said...

Looking lovely! Cute little angels!!

Blondie's Journal said...

The angels are precious!! I think the ones made out of doilies are pretty special, too! Neat craft!!

Love your entry! Actually, everything looks so pretty. The lights at Christmas just mezmerise me!

You have been working hard again, lady! It all looks worth it!

XO,
Jane

MadSnapper said...

fantastic idea, your home is beautiful and so festive. I came here from Deb's blog.

Carla said...

WOW again and again.
Really really pretty!

Nita said...

Your Angel foyer is beautiful and yes what a beautiful golden glow. Nice surrounding to sit and meditate. But sitting isn't something you do is it.