Wednesday, June 26, 2024

Busy June Days!

June days have been busy ones for us!
I've been working on a wall in the den for weeks now and it's finally coming together.


There are four windows on this wall - 
and there's one window that faces the street. Thursday evening I was working on that one.
There's a baby grand piano in front of the window and I had to carefully squeeze myself into the small space and then stand on a stepladder to finish out the inset part of the window.
That's where I was when I saw our dear friend Ilene walking down the sidewalk!
She saw me standing in the window and I tapped on it and motioned her to come around to the front door! 

I carefully squeezed myself OUT and let her in and she agreed to stay and visit while I finished up that window. Win! WIN! It's always nice to have company to talk to when you are doing a tedious job.


While I was still hanging out in the den window - Son Dean arrived to spend the night and Ilene opened the door for him so I didn't have to do my gymnastic act again!

Dean is always so much FUN! He brings a party atmosphere with him wherever he goes and that night was no exception!

Ilene has met Sherry once but this was her very first time to meet Dean!
She knew all about him since I talk of him and Sherry and the country.

We had such a good time talking about bees and honey and plans and all sorts of things!
It was fun like a party and we even had a little wine!!!
I love nights like that!

Dean was gone long hours before Louis Dean and I woke up the next morning.


I took my first cup of coffee out to the kitchen deck and spent some time in prayer.


Still haven't hit 100* yet!
But it IS hot so I enjoy going out early and then again later in the evening!

Friday was errand day and we had quite a few places to go!
Tom Thumb, Walgreen's, Home Depot, Aldi!
We ate lunch at Arby's and that was seriously good.
However, so many errands takes a toll on Louis Dean these days and he had to go to bed where he stayed for several hours.
He slept in the guest room that night and I was up several times checking on him.
I was so relieved when I got up Saturday morning and smelled the coffee!
He was back to his old self and surprised me by having fixed the front door!
It would not 'click' shut so if it wasn't locked - it would open and the cats could escape - which Tabitha did! Twice! No, THREE times.
He had thought ahead and put both cats in the guest room and shut the door!

Some days he is simply brilliant!



And Saturday was one of those days!

Sine I had overstressed him on Friday and he was doing well on Saturday , I decided we would watch church online and lay low on Sunday. That was a good decision.


By day's end the den wall had made some serious progress!
I'm loving the way it's turning out!
Brenda gave me the curtains and I like the way they puddle so I may not even cut them off to fit.
I chose Spiced Vinegar satin wall paint and Jute semi gloss for the bench and back of the walls.

Beige paper pleated black out shades have been ordered and I think I am going to like the option of keeping it darker in there when it's really hot and then let the light in in cooler weather!

Amber and her crew arrived at 1:30 and brought lunch from Olive Garden!
My favorite!





Granddad was taking a nap so we went ahead and ate!
What a great time we had visiting around the table!

When we finished Kailey asked me if I would go with her to wake Granddad up.
You should have seen his face when he opened his eyes and saw Kailey!


We all had soup, salad and breadsticks - but Amber ordered spaghetti and meat balls for her dad!
LD will tell you he does NOT like pasta - but for some reason that doesn't include spaghetti!

The afternoon slipped away with everyone doing things and visiting.


Kailey spent some quality time with her Granddad and he showed her how to hold a violin and she had a little lesson!


Playing music!
Then he sang to her!

Logan helped me thread my sewing machine - I am having some eye issues with macular dengeneration.and cataracts -especially in my left eye.


I did a few mending projects for Amber as we continued to visit and she opened her birthday presents.
They were at the beach the week of her birthday - her perfect happy place!


Harriosn is playing a LOT of hockey and was recently scouted by another team!
He's really good!
But he's also really TIRED!
Still, he was up and visiting with Granddad a bit later.

Brenda had given me a bag of her super cute college granddaughter's clothes and the girls had fun trying them on and posing for me.


They are so cute!


Kailey and Logan scored on many items but Trystan is smaller - and her mommy has been adding some new items to her wardrobe lately so it's all good!


Amber's favorite cake is Dr Pepper cake and I baked one especially for her!
There's a funny story about that cake!
Amber was in the hospital for 52 days before delivering her quadruplets at 29 weeks 5 days.
I was staying in Katy and visiting her every day while Louis Dean was at home repairing the camper so we could live in it for 7 months after the babies were born.

I took a cake up to her room and I don't remember if she ate a piece or not - but she did NOT know that Mike was going to take it to the nurses station and offer some to them. They ate it all and when Amber woke up and asked for a piece of cake - let's just say that she STILL remebers he gave it all away!


Trystan frosted it for me and therefore had the privilege of eating the first piece!


As is our tradiition - the girls take my phone and snap pictures for me to look at when they are gone!

The hours went by so fast and all too sonn it was time for them to go.


Our traditional GOOD BYES - since they were just toddlers!!!!
I hope they will do this when they leave here for the rest of our lives!

Ilene came down later that evening and we visited and I showed her the plants and hoses and such so she will be watering while we are at the ranch so all my flowers won't die.
What we do without our friends??

Dean's flight home from North Carolina was late and we had already gone to bed by the time he got in.


He had a great time and was chosen to do a demonstration for the Grand Master.....
what an honor.


He received several high degree certificats.
I do not remember all of the honors he was given but he had an excellent experience training, testing and demonstrating at the event.

We three had coffee together and packed, loaded and prepared for our trip to the ranch!
I am now the official designated driver not only for the car but the masive 350 Dodge Ram duly with oversized tires!!!
This is a MAN'S truck so you can imagine the stares when I hop out of it - a 5 foot - 130 pound - 75 year old lady! But I can DO this thing!

It was after 12:30 when we left home and our first stop was at the Cumby home to pick up some deck blocks they were giving Dean.


Next stop!
The Hong Kong Market Place and Grocery store in Grand Prairie!


It's a tradition for Dean to put $5 in and get a massage!


Louis Dean wanted no part of it! He didn't even want to come in but I refused to let him sit in the truck in this Texas heat!


While not the most flattering pic - it was such a wonderful experience!
I may have laughed out loud a few times when some unexpected places were squeezed!!!
It was FUN!!

Louis Dean warmed up to the place when we got to the grocery area!


He bought all sorts of things from seasonings to veggies to soy sauce and marinades and dates!


He also chose a plum wine - that may be interesting!

From there we were hungry and decided to eat at what I think was called Captain D's!


I discovered I am NOT a fan of fried green tomatoes!


The food was good and the tea was excellent!

Next came the hard part since we were now in Grand Praire and so we went to Hwy 360 to 287 to I35.
Not the normal route we take but I thought  Louis Dean would be pleased that we bypassed so much of I35 which he declares he hates. Alas, now it seemed to be his desired direction - even though the traffic was so much lighter and the scenery so much nicer.this way.


We arrived later than we planned - but we are HERE!


Sherry met us at the camper with a huge bouquet of wild flowers when we arrived last night.


I close this journal entry with a photo form our wedding day on June 26, 2005.

I have loved Louis Dean Dean since the moment I met him at the Fort Worth Zoo on April 26, 2005.
He professes he loved me at first sight, too.
We met on Eharmony and are now living happier ever after!

19 years of marriage and we are so blessed!
We remain madly in love with each other and treasure every day we have together.
He is 87 and I am 75.....
And I am here to tell you that true love is ageless.
 In every way.








10 comments:

Debby said...

You should write a book about your life with Louis Dean. Your love story is charming.

Ginny Hartzler said...

I am 75 as well. I probably told you this before, but I had forgotten we are the same age. Your sunflowers on your sunflower tablecloth look so pretty. and I love your yellow topped birdfeeder. Harrison looks all grown up!

Deanna Rabe said...

I love hearing about your days! It’s been hot here, too, and thankfully not 100!

The grands are delightful young people, and I can imagine Amber’s disappointment at all the cake being gone! Especially when she was working so hard to keep those babies in as long as possible!

Happy Anniversary!

Deb J. in Utah said...

Hi Linda. My, you and LD have such a busy life filled with family, friends, faith and FUN! I always like to read your blog because you are so positive! Happy Anniversary to you and LD. Neither of you look your age. I hope you have a great weekend. See you again soon!

salemslot9 said...

💕happy anniversary💕

MadSnapper said...

I want you to know, I read every word of your post and enjoyed everything you do and say and all your girls and boy and hubby. I used to comment on the things that caught my attention but by the end my short term memory has forgotten details but retains the joy of your LIFE.. it is the opposite of mine and I would love to have yours for mine. I LOVE the view of those big bright beautiful windows... I could live in that room and would put the blinds up at daylight and down at dark every single day. it looks beautiful

Rita said...

Love the wedding picture!
Can't imagine what it must have been like having quadruplets! Your help was truly appreciated, I'm sure.
What a wonderful life filled with love. :)

Jan said...

I enjoy reading your blog so much. Happy Anniversary, one day late! True love is indeed ageless-we will celebrate our 50th tomorrow. Have a wonderful time in the country and stay out of this terrible heat!

Debbie said...

i LOVE the den wall, i prefer it without curtains, i really like the open look of windows without coverings. you may not be able to do that if you need privacy. i have windows that face my backyard and i keep them clear...no one can see in. your son dean sounds like a really wonderful son, we need them in our lives!!

our weather has been unforgiving, almost 100 degrees every day. with the humidity, even the pool is not amazing!!

chuck and i were married on june 25, 1978, we just celebrated 47 years!!

Susie said...

Linda, You are so right about love being ageless. Wow you have been doing so many things. Praying you do not get those super hot days and I absolutely do not want any. O loved all your pictures. Wow hard to believe the kids are that grown already. Kudos to Dean. Such and honor. The kids saying Good-bye to you and LD like that just squeezes my heart. Blessings to all, love you guys, xoxo, Susie