Thursday, August 10, 2023

Decorating for Fall, Tuesday Treasures and Other Things.....

I have been throwing myself into preparing the house for September First!
I'm actually later than last year when, by this time, it was ALL done!
But I was grieving for Nita and comforted myself in putting every last single bit of fall out as soon as I could. 


I am still grieving for Nita - as I always will - but this year is more peaceful and comforting in a different way.


Louis Dean and I continue to learn and live with his increasing dementia and are doing well with that.


His medication seems to be working and we have adjusted to our life and it is a good one.


Some of us are eager to embrace FALL and others are reluctant to leave SUMMER.


We love what we love and that doesn't take away the joy from those who love differently.


I do not do well in the heat and never have.


For me - Fall is the beginning of more moderate temperatures which makes life more comfortable.
The first of three  wonderful seasons before the heat arrives.


I was born in September and have always love that month more than any other.


I used to wait until September First to even start getting fall out.


But as I have grown older, I have decided to 'set the stage' so to speak and really celebrate the first day of September with the scenes already in place.
I save some things for the very first September Morn -like 
the special Fall candle to be lit after I have poured my first cup of pumpkin spice coffee.
Then I turn Neil Diamond on to sing September Morn as I sip and savor this most favorite moment of my entire year!

By Monday night the den was DONE!!!
I have since added a bit here and there and I know it's a little 'over the top' but I do this for me.
And I love it!

Tuesday is my favorite day of the week because I spend it with Brenda.
I met her and Billy up at Chick-fil-A for lunch and then we went on to shop three thrift stores - Texas Thrift is our favorite and then Goodwill and Thrift Giant.....all on Beltline Road.
Sadly, two of the three had AC problems and it was HOT!!!


I found some nice treasures!!!


Brenda has an eye for all things Chico's and good quality and found the three tops for me.

After our shopping we stopped by the house and picked Louis Dean up and headed to Dallas to meet up with the Bells at the movies.


Meg 2: The Trench

It was so much fun!
Amber got tickets to the showing where they had the extra side screens!
Comfortable recliners and a burger and beer for Louis Dean from the cafe there and a Ghost Margarita for me - we had a great time!

Kailey saved the seat next to her for Granddad and he loved that!
Those two have a special bond and she took me aside later to assure me that she loved me too - but Granddad was special. I told her I appreciated the extra attention she gives him because it makes him so happy.
Trystan, Kailey, Harrison and Logan are ALL so very special to us and we are so blessed to have them in our life. And I have to say that Amber and Mike are the best parents I have EVER seen and they have their priorities on faith and family.
I am so proud of all of them!!!

Louis Dean had an appointment with his Primary Care Dr. Maddox.
We are blessed to have have such excellent doctors!


We always take a selfie together as we are in the waiting room.
He got a good report.
His illness in the mountains of New Mexico was allergies and his vitals today were all good and his lungs clear. We talked to the doctor about his wobbly walking and wooziness which he said was from the neuropathy in his feet. He referred us to a physical therapist who will give him some exercises and also teach him how to use a walking cane.  


We celebrated with a late lunch at Uno China!
It was SO good!!


Silly man!!!


When he took my picture, he said, "Give me that cute look you had when I first met you!"
I have no idea what that look was!! But I tried!


Louis Dean is nearly 87 years old and is still such a romantic!
Plus he is so handsome!
WHY do men seem to age so much better than ladies do???

We did errands and shopped Aldi and came home totally exhausted in this awful  heat!
We put the perishables up and went to bed!

I got up before Louis Dean and put up the rest of the groceries and started watering the front yard.
He slept for over 5 hours!


I close tonight's journal entry in the wee hours of Thursday morning!
As in after 2 AM!

We have another appointment today - for an EKG and a heart monitor for him to wear for a week.
But for now, Louis Dean and I are going outside to sit on the driveway and have a nightcap.
We decided we might as well stay up late when we can actually go outside without being in danger and then sleep late!
That's why all our doctor appointments are in the AFTERNOON!!!






15 comments:

Estelle's said...

I must say how much I enjoyed your early fall home tour....every corner is a delight and I totally agree with you....I am so ready to say goodbye to summer and this awful heat...it's hard to imagine LD is now 87!! Keep your zest for the holidays, the sunflowers and the love of your life....it's a marvelous thing to see!

Arlene G said...

So glad LD got a good report at the doctor. A friend of mine and I were discussing growing older the other day and how we have to make adjustments to our lives if we want to grow older well. It is in the 80s here this week but with lots of rain. There have been storms around us but we have been safe here for which I am glad. I am thinking that I will start getting out my fall things in September. Like you, Summer is not my favorite season.:) Ready for some low humidity.

Anonymous said...

You got me started on listening to September Morn several years ago. I just love your blog and homes!
Nan

MadSnapper said...

glad the meds are working well and LD is so happy.
since Bob and Louis Dean are the same age, they are going through the same type things. like the EKG and heart monitor, and bob had the echo cardio thingy. due to that he is now on coumadin.. we are trying to get that adjusted to where it should be, not to thin, or thick. that theater sounds like a fun place to go. glad you are almost ready for Sept 1, it is racing towards us. Us Virgos don't do well in heat. Here we don't get any releif until November.

Anonymous said...

Everything sounds pretty good with y'all, I am glad to hear! Life going on as usual!
I lost my only SIL Thursday,-- she had dementia the last three years. She was 80, and taught me so much when I got married! We miss her so much. I know you understand -- and please forgive me if I already mentioned it. I've had more memory problems lately myself --I may have had another small stroke...
Love
Trudy

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

I'll be waiting to bring out fall here on September 1st. We've had a cooler than average summer here. The hot days have felt good to me. We haven't had many and when it does heat up we have a storm, that cools it off again. Hope you enjoy the rest of the week and can get outside comfortably.

NanaDiana said...

I love Fall, too. It is my favorite season. I am hanging on to summer this year though. Soon my sweet grandgirl that hangs out here will be heading East for her 2nd year of college out there. I am already mourning her presence here. But- I am happy for her,too.
LD and my hubby have so much in common. The difference is that LD keeps plugging along and hubby has pretty much given up, it seems. He won't do anything they tell him to do and is in bed about 85% of the time now. It is so sad. He has an appointment mid Sept with a neurophysiologist and then a neurologist so I will be anxious to find out he progression here. Day by day-I know that is how you live, too. Prayers for you and LD! I am trying to get back to blogging a bit because it is such a wonderful community and it is good for me, too! xo Diana

Jan said...

Your fall decorations are beautiful-I'm so ready for fall, but can't quite get in the mood to decorate yet with these triple digit temperatures. We did get a little rain last night which was wonderful! We are feeling the changes that come with aging and are having to adjust our lives accordingly. My husband is grudgingly admitting that there are somethings he's going to have to quit doing. Glad LD had a good report from his doctor!

Wanda said...

You are handling your new "rythem" of life so gracefully. So many changes with changing health issues. You and Louis Dean look alsolutely wonderful and even with new changes the best time of your lives. That's how Don and I are living our lives too.

Your Fall decorations are to die for....How everyone entering your home must be blessed beyond words.

You are a tresure!!!!

Rita said...

I'm a spring baby but fall is my favorite time of year! Fun to see all you do to decorate.
Glad Louis Dean is doing so well and is still a romantic. Lovley family time, too. Have a great weekend. :)

Pamela M. Steiner said...

I enjoyed your FALL post so much...it makes me want to get busy decorating. Probably won't for a few more weeks, however. I'm just not quite ready to drag out all the stuff...it's so hot in the shed where it is kept. Anyway, you do inspire me. I didn't know you were a September baby. So am I!! That explains a lot of things!! Praying for you and LD and your Dr. appts., and other things that are going on. May God continue to be with you and guide you each step of the way. This getting older stuff is not for sissies, that's for sure! I appreciate your way of handling things. You are a blessing to us all.

Ginny Hartzler said...

So many of your regular things and furniture are fall-like colors, so it all matches and looks really good. Louis Dean is SO charming and handsome!!! He reminds me of Clark Gable!

Donna said...

I love all the Fall decorations! I'm tempted to start doing the same, here! Love the "feeling" it gives you to decorate for the special days in our lives. Life is just too short not to be happy!
I can not stand Summer! Spring...Fall and Winter are my happiest times now...It's just too flipping Hot here nowadays!
Seems like our days are filling up with doctor visits...ours or someone close to us. Just part of it, I guess.
Happy weekend sweet lady!
hugs
Donna

Deanna Rabe said...

As a fellow fall lover, your excitement for fall is so fun! I love that you decorate your home for you!

LD is handsome, but you are a beautiful woman Linda. Truly. Your lovely heart just shines out!

My dad had a pacemaker installed this past year and it really helped his walking too! I guess because he had more strength once his heart was regulated!

Susie said...

Linda, I am enjoying your decorating. The pictures of you and LD are really good. I have seen many fall decorations in the stores...but I think my only fall decor will be an old lady raking....ME. I have always thought a bowl of shiny apples makes a great fall centerpiece. So that might do it for me. Stay cool and hydrated there in Texas my friends. Blessings, xoxo, love you guys, Susie