Saturday, August 12, 2023

Birthdays, Decorating and Waiting for FALL!!

 Thursday was Pam's birthday (Reaoma's daughter) and we have a tradition that I bake her a special birthday cake. When I asked her what she wanted this year, she said, "Something light!"


The first thing that came to my mind was this angel food cake and strawberries and cool whip dessert!
I tried to find an angel food cake from the grocery store bakeries but gave up after going to two different ones with no luck.
So I baked my own - with a mix!!

I lost the recipe and had to do it by memory but it turned out to be delicious!

Pam came over Thursday evening to pick it up and we had a good visit - first one this year, actually!!!
How did THAT happen???

Earlier that afternoon, we had a appointment for Louis Dean to get an EKG and a heart monitor.


We met this lovely lady in the waiting room and had the nicest visit.
She is caretaker of a gentleman who is 101 years old.
Just last year he was doing his own gardening!
She was telling us about the nurse who comes in to care for her client and how she plays the violin for him. THAT grabbed Louis Dean's attention as he yearns for a violin player!
We exchanged phone numbers and we shall see what we shall see if anything comes of this.

Another sweet lady was also in the waiting room with her father (who was napping until time for his appointment) and we got to taking about canes and her father had one exactly like the doctor suggested to Louis Dean! She looked it up on Amazon and I ordered it on my phone right then and there. It will be here on Tuesday!!

And then there was ANOTHER sweet lady who sat behind us and started laughing when she heard us talking. Louis Dean was being silly and then he was called back to get his EKG and I went around to sit beside her. We had a great visit! She has 10 cats and hires someone to come in and do the kitty chores!
I was telling her about our New Mexico trip and she told me that she had just bought 15 acres there and will be building a house.

All these doctor appointments have turned out to be a lot of FUN!


At nearly 87 years of age - we are finally getting a permanent Handicapped Parking Plate and Placard.
Plate for the car. Placard for the truck.
Win! WIN!!!


Yesterday was my youngest son's birthday!!
He's the son of my old age and such a blessing to me!
I am so proud of him!!

Louis Dean and I have been staying inside the house unless we HAVE to go out as in these doctor visits.


But under cloak of darkness, we venture to either the front or, in this case, the side yard to water.
There's mounds of dry leaves piling up on the deck.....not from FALL but from the heat and lack of rain! He got out there last night and blew them all off.

The laundry room is all clean and decorated!


I guess my favorite color must be ORANGE!!!


This is the $10 cabinet Brenda found for me on Tuesday!


I lit a fresh candle in there to celebrate.
This is one I got at the thrift store - brand new and 'highly scented!'
My favorite kind!


I moved on to the kitchen yesterday and finished it today.


I'm having such a good time!


I love my kitchen!!!
Especially in the Fall and Christmas seasons.

I took up the denim rag rugs that could cause us to trip.
Staying mindful of things like that these days.


My coffee bar.
Louis Dean has his own in his music room.


Table for Two!
Sometimes LD joins me but this is where I eat my meals.


It's easy to forget the triple digit heat outside when you are surrounded by all things Fall!
That is - until you have to go outside to bring in another tub of 'debris.'


My kitchen planner station.
I have two planners - one here and one in my Bible Basket and is also my handwritten journal.
I used to have a third one - a smaller version in my purse - but I am trying to lighten my load with what I carry!
I keep track of our appointments, my to-do list and what I want to accomplish each day.
My favorite thing is crossing things OFF my list.
Although sometimes I have to CIRCLE them and draw an arrow down to the next day.


This was my last area to clean and decorate in the kitchen.


The left counter to the sink.


It's probably silly to decorate every room to the hilt - 


But it does make me happy!!!





12 comments:

Rita said...

The angel food cake with strawberries and cream looks delicious!

I love visits like those where you chat with an interesting person or two. But I couldn't help but wonder how that lady does all she does with those long-long nails? lol!

Happy birthday to Benjamin!

I say decorate to your heart's content! Whatever makes you happy! Fall is my favorite season and oranges, yellows, and browns are perfect for it. :)

I'd be inside with all the blinds drawn, too with triple digits! Stay cool you two!! :)

Brenda said...

If you need xtra cane…Walgreens are fantastic. As I lose mine…inexpensive and comfortable.

Ginny Hartzler said...

You remind me of The Mad One, talking to everyone and making friends wherever she goes. I can't imagine all the work that went into your beautiful Fall decorating. It now takes me about two weeks, and I don't have near as much room, though I have a lot of big full keepers.

savannah said...

I love the lavish decor.
It's so cozy and beautiful.
You've inspired to finish up some
projects I working on now.
A recent trip to hobby lobby
was a wake up call that summers waning! Bright fall colors everywhere.
I enjoyed hearing about the people you met on your recent doctor's office visit.
Doctor's appointments are not something we enjoy but you managed to do just that!

MadSnapper said...

Ginny is right! I too love doctor visits, but now when bob is with me. he doesn't talk, and no one talks to me when he is with me. you have LD who is a talker, so that makes it all doc visits. I once met a young woman while we waited on our tires to be put on, that was the most fun I ever had while waiting. the 90 minutes we were together we laughed and left knowing all kinds of things about each other. I have never forgotten her. She was about 30 to 40 years younger than me, but we still had a blast. I once had a conversation with a young man, about 20 I think and that was a real shock, that we could talk to each other and laugh and have fun.
about the decorating. Your home makes you happy, filling it with your debri makes you happy. My home makes me happy because it doesn have any, the more I remove the better I like it. we all need to do to our homes what makes us happy, even those who have clothing on the floors and piled on chairs and sofas. Home should be our happy place, OUR happy place, not what someone else thinks makes us happy.

Donna said...

Your house is fun! I think I'll get my skinny tree out and decorate it!
It's SO flippin hot...too true!
Have a sweet week...
hugs
Donna

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

I too also have a lot of fall decorations, but they don't look anything as much as what you have. Your home is lovely and a treat to see. Hope you get some relief from the heat soon. It' has been cooler than normal here this year. Today we're in the 80's hut that's about all. Cooler days are coming and I'm in no hurry to see them.

photowannabe said...

Oh Linda, your place looks so welcoming for Fall. I can tell this is your passion and you do it so well.
UMMmmm yum on angel food cake and strawberries...yummolicious
I also like how you talk to others at your appointments. I think we are related there..LOL
probably my Hubby more than me.
I do hope the violin player and LD can connect. It would be wonderful.
Take care and don't get too hot
Sue

Wanda said...

Getting ready to leave for second Service...Will be back later to tell you how much if love your post today.

Susie said...

Linda, That is absolutely your sign.:):) Looks like autumn in your house. I am hoping our autumn is a long one. The summer has been tough. Stay cool . Happy birthday wishes for Ben. My great grandson in Seattle is Bennett, but I call him Ben. :) Blessings, xoxo, Love, Susie

BeachGypsy said...

Howdy Linda, happy birthday to your son Benjamin and sounds like all the doctor appointments went very well? So glad to get those pesky things out of THE WAY, ISN'T IT??! LOL Hope your week has started off good. I can't beleive the heat and it's even worse in many States than what we have here. Just too dang hot to venture out unless its necessary! We have gardens and animals to feed and water, boy oh boy, that's a chore when you are MELTING. ha ha Sure loved seeing all your pretty Fall decorations, I know how you LOVE SEPTEMBER! Every time I hear that song now, I think of you. I put out our Fall decor on September first is always my goal....some years it's just plain later, ha ha LOL! Your home looks happy and festive! PS....I do love your new hair-do, how is it working out for you?

obscure said...

Nothing is silly that brings you joy!!