Saturday, September 23, 2017

I Heard My Daughter's Voice!!

Summer called this morning!
There is no cell phone connections anywhere on the island other than in San Juan.
Sabrina and family had taken Summer to the airport there in San Juan hoping her scheduled flight for this morning would still fly out.
That was not to happen but they had no communication as to what was going on until they got to San Juan.


From my Facebook posting today:

I have spent some time on the phone this morning with Summer!!! They are all okay but it has been a traumatic time for them. Their bigger better safer house is pretty much totalled and she said it felt like a scene from the Titanic! They ended up in the basement with water coming in. They were rescued by a friend - a day or two after Maria hit the island - and taken to their home which fared much better.
Today they took Summer to San Juan hoping the flights were going out as she had a reservation departing today. The airport has been closed by the military until Tuesday due to conditions regarding the dam that is breaking.
They will get out tomorrow on a plane that is delivering water and building supplies and will take them out since it would otherwise be leaving empty. President Trump is sending planes in including his own personal jet to transport people out.
Summer and Sabrina Parks are resourceful and creative and have done the very best they can under extreme conditions. The family there remain a strong bonded team from all that she told me. They have suffered a lot of trauma but are safe. I am so proud of them!
There is no cell phone connections once they leave San Juan and they must arrive back at Palmas before the 6:00 curfew. Please continue to pray for them as they deal with so many situations.
It is dangerous in Puerto Rico.....


From Summer's Facebook post:

We have hung out in the bar trying to coordinate departure flights for everyone to leave PR. My flight with Spirit Airlines canceled and they didn't bother to reschedule on next available flight.
Plus, when I arrived at airport there was no one at the Spirit Airlines desk to provide updates. Then my Mom, Linda was on line trying to book flights but they kept selling out before we could complete the booking process. We are about to finish up the planning process and have to head back soon to our home in Humacao due to the 6pm to 6am curfew.


Today has been hard for me - emotionally, mentally and drained me physically.
But I can not complain as I know for Summer, Sabrina and the rest of the family there are suffering through so much more..


Confirmed Report - Homeland Security agents in PR are providing heavily-armed security in a few gas stations that have reported hostile environments between customers in line to get gas.

There is the threat of violence as people are so desperate.

I admit it - today I have been a basket case.
After finishing my last conversation with Summer before they left San Juan - I went to bed and stayed there until nearly 6:00 this evening.
Reality was so much worse than my imagination regarding what my daughter was going through.


Louis Dean worked in the bathroom by putting up walls.
Tomorrow he will finish out that corner and put the shower in place.
We have one more work day before we pack up and go home for a couple of weeks.
Then we will be back to actually hook up the toilet, sink and shower and hopefully the water heater for HOT water! We plan on spending half of every month down here getting this room completed.
We do so love it here!


This day one year ago!


My daughters celebrating my birthday with me on this day in 2016.
Daughters are special gifts to mothers....I am so grateful God gave me TWO!!!


I wish I could reach out and give every one of you a hug for the prayers you have all prayed for my daughter. Thank you from the bottom of my heart!



13 comments:

Deanna Rabe - Creekside Cottage Blog said...

Praying still!

Bluebird49 said...

God is Everything! He is in the big details and the smallest!
I'm so thankful they made it, despite the bad conditions! I know that they will more thankful than ever---and this will make them stronger!

Linda, please get the rest you need!
xoxo, Trudy

MadSnapper said...

we will all continue to pray for her and her family to make it to safety.. your story scares me silly, so can only imagine how you are feeling

Susie said...

Linda, I said a prayer right before I visited your blog this morning. Some good news for you to hear Summer's voice and know she is okay. You are all in my prayers. Blessings to you all, love, xoxo, Susie

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Thank the good Lord for His many blessings! So happy that you have heard from your daughter and that they are ok. It sounds terrible there at the present but hopefully will all the help coming it will soon be much better. How sad that people are turning violent against each other. Fear can do some terrible things. Will continue praying she makes it home safely and soon and for all those effected that have lost so much. Going back and forth the way you are doing must keep you very busy. Hope you have a blessed Sunday and safe travels home on Monday.

Changes in the wind said...

Happy Birthday Linda, sorry that is all this is happening but so glad they have communicated with you and that Summer will be coming home. It is so sad all the damage that these hurricanes have done.

Cheapchick said...

I am so glad you heard from Summer, hope she gets to see you soon. Happy Birthday. Are Sabrina and family trying not to leave the island too?

Vee said...

So glad that you have heard Summer's voice. Mothers are only as well as the child who is struggling in any way. I continue to pray and believe that everything will be okay. Glad to know that they will be flying out soon.

Love to all... Vee (Google Account ?)

Vee said...

Required to create new password...oh well!

Ginny Hartzler said...

Happy Happy Birthday, Linda. My wish for you is that you never have a day like this again! Only peaceful days, and fun with the grandchildren. The waiting and not knowing is so awful!!! But she will be fine now, and I so hope you can relax.

ellen b. said...

Happy to hear you heard your daughter's voice. I can't imagine all that's going on and might go on in such dire conditions. Praying as I type that she'll get on a plane out of there.

Carole said...

Hope you have a lovely birthday celebration when Summer is back. You deserve it. cheers

Debbie said...

this was hard for me to read, i teared up a few times. does summer live in pr, or was she there on vacation. i can only imagine what you must be going through, i hope speaking with her brought you some comfort!! oh and happy birthday!!