Saturday, June 1, 2019

Thursday With the Ladies and Happy 7th Birthday to the Quads!


It was a Ladies Salad Luncheon at the home on Thursday.
I had planned to be there early before they brought lunch around but managed to get there shortly before noon. Both Lillian and Margaret opt to eat on trays in their room instead of going to the dining room. I don't know why. Perhaps because they don't usually eat the meals. I don't know which I would choose if I were in their place. 


I have decided not to serve the lunches I bring in their room.
Too cramped and it doesn't make it special like sitting together at a table does.
the home is being repainted and fixed up and our usual living area was still under construction.
The big open room at the front was already occupied by a family who had spread out a tablecloth and was serving a lunch much like the one I was serving.


So I used the private dining room which worked out just fine.
Margaret was in a good mood that day!
And I noticed that Lillian was wearing a bit of make up and a pretty blouse!
She and I are going shopping again in July. This time with a wheelchair so she doesn't have to walk.
The windows in the dining room look out to the back veranda where there is a whole row of rocking chairs lined up.


After we had eaten, we went out there to hear the birds and watch the butterflies.
The weather was perfect!
Neither one of them had been out there just to sit a spell. 
I think I would go outside everyday. Especially when it rains.
It made me feel good how all the staff stopped and paid attention to Lillian and Margaret.
They seem to be popular with both the staff and the residents.
We went in after 45 minutes or so and I changed the sheets on the beds and fluffed up  their rooms.
No need for a grocery run this time.
It will be 20 days before I go back so I lingered a little longer to sit and visit.
Next week will be a busy one for us with a medical appointment for one or the other of us every day except Monday and I am having a friend over for lunch that day.
After Louis Dean's routine appointment with his primary care doctor on Friday, we are heading to the ranch. No matter our yard is still under construction and nothing is really finished out there.
We have no deadlines. It will be there when we get back and my big goal this year is to be at the ranch for some time every single month.

I stopped at Hobby Lobby for quilt batting and thread and then drove the Express lanes all the way to Irving during rush hour traffic. Made it home in about 45 minutes.
For some reason I was starving and fixed a big glass of tea, ate two small pieces of Louis Dean's leftover pizza, the rest of the pasta salad from lunch and a big bowl of watermelon.
Finally, I was full!
It was 6:50 when I decide to take a little nap and 10:00 that night when I woke up.
I stayed up long enough to take a shower and wash my hair and went right back to bed and didn't get up until 9:00 this morning. I was more tired than I thought I was and I have rested a good bit today.


I had my morning coffee in this special cup Amber gave us.
Harrison and Logan on this side......


Kailey and Logan on that side.
Today was their birthday!
Trystan, Kailey and Harrison were all born at 12:55 PM May 31st.
Logan had her very own minute at 12:56!

**Photo Courtesy of Amber**

Their party is Saturday but the family birthday dinner was tonight at Texas Roadhouse.
We gave them season passes to the pools for the summer as their birthday gift. 
Amber and all four of her children love the water!


This afternoon I wrote each child a special birthday letter and gave them tonight when we went back to their house for birthday cake and gifts. 


It was a Happy BIRTHDAY kind of night!!!!

20 comments:

Ginny Hartzler said...

I am glad you are encouraging the ladies to sit outside! I think it will be so good for both their spirits and their health. Happy Birthday to the quads, they are growing so fast!!! It is so special that you wrote a letter for each of them, something they will always treasure.

Vee said...

What a beautiful luncheon you hosted for Lillian and Margaret. Then to sit out on the porch afterward...bliss!

Oh I remember seven years ago when the quads arrived. What a happy day after all those weeks of praying and trusting. John was so thrilled, you’d have thought they were his own. ☺️

Happy Birthday πŸ‘¦πŸ»πŸŽˆ~πŸ‘±πŸ»‍♀️🎈~ πŸ‘©πŸΌπŸŽˆ~πŸ‘§πŸΌπŸŽˆWhat beautiful 7s you are!

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

What a fun birthday celebration! And you are so sweet to visit these ladies and help them live happier lives! Take care of yourself my friend! Hugs!

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

I hope with your encouragement the ladies do find time to get outside more. It is good for the body, mind and soul. Wishing your quads a very Happy Birthday! What a joy they are ! Birthdays are a very special occasion and should be celebrated! Like you, I believe that things will wait until we get to them and we should take every chance we get to enjoy life. Going back to your happy place is something worth taking time for ! Hope your weekend is a wonderful one !

Aloha Acres said...

I can not believe they are 7 already. I remember following your blog so intently when they were due and then again in their very early years. Time sure does fly, doesn't it?

Changes in the wind said...

It is so nice you continue to go to the rest home and encourage the ladies and often times forget the simple pleasures of sitting outside. How time flies and the grands are 7 years old!

Arlene G said...

So glad to see that Lillian and Margaret got some special treats. I am sure you are right that they need to get out of their rooms for a meal and to enjoy the porch was a special treat as well. I cant believe the quads are so big. When I first started reading your blog I think they were three. Enjoy your time at the ranch. We will not be going to Grimwood until the middle of June but Amelia and her family will be going for a weekend soon. I am so glad the kids and their families get to use our happy place too.

MadSnapper said...

love that quad cup and the family birthday party. I am so happy to see those rockers at the home and a place to sit and rock outside... it is a nice home from what I see. the lunch looks special from here..

Judy said...

Happy Birthday to your four grands! Where have the years gone? I remember praying for them before they were born. I love that you wrote them each a birthday letter. You made the day special for Lillian and Margaret too!

Susie said...

Linda, That was the fastest 7 years ever. The children are wonderful and I love seeing their family gatherings. No wonder you slept so long...you have been going full steam. LOL. The ladies lunch looked like such fun and always good food. One day I would love to join all of you. LOL. Blessings to all, Happy birthday to the quads from aunt Susie. :):) Love all of you, xoxo, Susie

Deanna Rabe - Creekside Cottage Blog said...

The quads share a Birthday with my Rachel! She just turned 20! How fun to celebrate together and pool passes are a great gift!

Kathy said...

I am glad you got Lillian and Margaret outside. I see the ladies in the Nursing Home Joe and I go to on Mondays and they never get into the fresh air. I think getting out is good for them and they looked so happy. You are so good to spend time with them and bring them a special lunch.

I know the quads are 7 years old, but it seems so fast! Time sure does fly. When I look at them I can see they are all grown up now. Happy birthday to them! Pool passes are a great gift.

Anonymous said...

You do so much for the ladies at the seniors home, so many seniors are forgotten and neglected, you are truly an angel. What a wonderful birthday celebration!

photowannabe said...

You and LD are the perfect Grandparents.
That's an awesome gift for the family for the summer.
It looks like you had a wonderful time with Lillian and Margaret. I love your lunch spread in the private diningroom.
I think I would like to sit out in the rockers and watch God's world go by too.

Jan said...

Happy Birthday to the Quads! You are so sweet to spend time with Lillian and Margaret. It's a lonely life in a nursing home and so many don't have families that will visit them. Glad you got them outside too.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Lillian and Margaret looked happy and they surely enjoy your visits and delicious foods, Linda, and you surely will be missed while you’re away at the ranch. Looks like a wonderful birthday celebration and those pool passes are a great gift as everyone gets to be outdoors.

Chatty Crone said...

All I can say after this is they are sure lucky and blessed to have you!

Cheapchick said...

Great birthday gift for the kids - experiences are worth so much more than "stuff"

Mary said...

Birthday wishes from Boston to the Quads. I cannot believe they are seven, seems like only yesterday! I have been following you since before they were born.
Mary.

Carole said...

Those 7 years have sped by. Great to see them so grown up. Cheers