Thursday, December 27, 2018

Christmas Moments......and the days after.....

Christmas Eve......Louis Dean and I were up early!
I'm a late sleeper normally except for Christmas and holidays.
We cooked and prepped and then got dressed and met up with family for a 3:00 candlelight service at Fellowship Church.


It was a beautiful service - especially when the only lights were candles glowing in the dark.
We all met back at the house after the service.


Pam, Reaoma's daughter, went to church with us and joined us for our Christmas Eve dinner.


 The most precious gift I received this Christmas was from Pam.....
this is Little Reaoma.
Reaoma was of Native American blood and documented that heritage with her handcrafted dolls.
She made one of her mother, her grandmother, her daughter and herself.
Pam gave me the Reaoma made of herself.....complete with adoption papers and everything.
I admit that I teared up a bit.


All my children and grandchildren were here Christmas Eve except for Summer and Rayne.
They were celebrating in Puerto Rico and we were happy for them even though we missed them!

Jesse and his family arrived......


My grandson, Levi! 


He is the cutest guy and has so much personality!


Faith and her brand new Christmas puppy named Max.

Ambe and Mike were here with the kids......


Aren't the girls precious??


Leigh Ann, Jesse's wife and my beautiful daughter in law.


Logan was in love with that little Max!!


Amber is a beauty!

We all visited and snacked on appetizers and enjoyed being together.

For the dinner meal, I had made a big beef stew along with salads and rolls.
Since the oldest grands are 16, 14, and 12......I put them at the adult table in the dining room with their parents and aunt and uncles.


The young ones sat at the corners of the table......
and Granddad and I ate with the quads at the table in the den.

The happiest moments of this Christmas season was listening to my children and grandchildren laugh and talk around the table. I wouldn't trade that sound for anything.


I was enjoying listening in and then laughed when I realized what they were talking about but it was all good!

While the adults were filling their plates.....


the kids and I went for a walk around the block.



Playing in crisp brown leaves in December is a Texas 'thang!'


It was a pleasant evening and no jackets required.

We walked over to a favorite neighbor's house to wish her a Merry Christmas.
Tamara's husband is away with the Trans Siberian Orchestra. I need to write down what he does but I know he's very important.


As she opened the door. the kids starting singing 'We Wish You a Merry Christmas!'
They sure had fun surprising her!


The stew was delicious!
I used a new recipe and it was a real hit.


The gifts were all in place and ready to open but we had a big job to do first.


Roll sugarplums!
Each grand rolled their own and took them home with them.
Except for Sam. He forgot to take his and they were scarfed up!


Louis Dean sat in the den and smiled a lot!
He may have had visions of sugarplums in his head!

Finally! It was time to open the gifts!


My handsome son, Benjamin! 
Child of my old age.
He is just 30 years old.


My handsome oldest son, Jesse!
He's 52.....
Son of my youth.


Leigh Ann loved the bracelet Amber made for her and I love the way Levi is looking at his mother!


Amber and her dad!
She knew he would love that warm green jacket!

It was a wonderful Christmas Eve.
Smiles, laughter, conversation.
Food, gifts, a new puppy and so much love.
I am a very blessed woman.


The time went by way too fast!
Jesse and his family were the first to leave.


Saying Goodbye!!!


And Goodbye AGAIN!!!

After everyone was gone, Louis Dean and I took a glass of wine to the gazebo.


He wore his new jacket to ward off the chill......
and he brought the gifts that we had wrapped for each other.
He was pretty happy with the one I gave him!
It was a custom Dodge Ram leather steering wheel cover.
What did he give me?
My favorite perfumes!

I set the alarm for 7:30 Christmas morning - but I woke up at 7:23 and preheated the oven, turned on the coffee and popped the breakfast casserole in to bake.

The Christmas Gathering started at 10:00 and we were only 12 minutes late!



My beautiful sister, Nita!
She makes hostessing our family look easy.....
but she has a secret weapon.....Mike!


It's always a treat to be in their home.


Mike collects vintage toys and so much more.....


Daughter Leah and her Mama!


Doesn't Deanie look great?
She's a December Baby born on the 21st.
I give her a candle for her birthdays....and it's always a gray one. 
She seems to like the way they smell.
One year it was called Warm Sweater. I forgot the name of this one but it's a Yankee candle so I know it smells wonderful!


Nita and Mike set up the best beverage stations!


We all bring something for the brunch and then Nita and Mike provide a ton of food!
I think she cooked 12 pounds of bacon! Plus sausage gravy, biscuits and scrambled eggs.
Then she had a mound of fresh berries plus the fixings for mimosas!
Michele brought sausage balls and Trish fixed breakfast pizzas and angel graham bars.
Joni brought her mother's fudge and Louis Dean baked his cinnamon rolls.
There was a lot of food! So much so that we all took some home with us and Louis Dean and I have had the best breakfasts ever since. We will polish the rest of it off in the morning.
Glad none of that delicious food went to waste!

From the Fort Worth Family to YOU!


Louis Dean, Nita, Mike, Bernie, Andie, Trish, Charlie, Leah, Deanie, Patrick, Joni, Michele, Lonnie and Larry!


Same thing here except I took Mike's place!


We wish you a merry Christmas!


We have such a good time on Christmas morning all being together.
We missed a few this year.
Our favorite cousin, Gay, was sick and couldn't come.
She is such a fun gal and we were so sorry she couldn't make it.


Bernie and Joni!
We claim them as Family!


Joni and Nita were sister in laws. 
Not really - more like sisters in love because love is stronger than laws!


Lonnie still calls Michele his lovely bride - and she is!


Leah and Patrick.....


and here is Andie!!!
Adorable as always!

Okay!
Visiting and feasting is done and now it's time to do the Chinese Christmas Tree.


Deanie had #1 so she opened more than one gift since the first one she opened - a set of luxurious grey towels - was stolen right off!



It's a strategic game if you are a couple and bring two gifts.
Every gift can be stolen and the third person to get it is the last.
It's frozen then and off limits.


Michele opened the Santa painting first.
But she didn't get to keep it long.


Bernie stole it next.....and he thought he did good and that would be it.



But then his wife stole it from HIM!!!
Silly man! 
Now that Joni stole it and was the third person - it was hers for keeps!!


She was a happy lady and I was happy for her.
Leah got to keep the copper cookware, some lucky people got some lottery tickets and Bernie got the pretty towels. I got the Pioneer Woman tea towels and silverware. Everyone went home happy!

Nita did give Joni a word to the wise. While happy that she won the 2018 Santa, she did say that normally the game is a bit more aggressive.....


and just so you know - Nit ahas more of the Santa paintings than anyone else except ME!!


I painted a couple of them special for her birthday.


I was proud of this year's Santa.


Good job, Joni!!

We went to the nursing home after we left Nita's.
Lillian and Roberta were not supposed to be there - but they were.
Lillian was sick and Roberta was really tired. I dropped goodies off and went in to check on Mother.
She was asleep and you know what? I did not disturb her. I left her gifts of clothing on her dresser and spoke to the aid to let her know.

 Since we would be back on Friday, we visited a few minutes and went on home to rest up a bit before we had our last celebration over in Dallas at Amber and Mike's house. We arrived just as they were making their plates - perfect timing!
Ham, mashed potatoes, roasted broccoli, all so good!
We brought Louis Dean's dinner rolls and my fruit salad plus a platter of desserts and a pumpkin pie.

Once again, we shared good food and good conversation.
The gifts had all been given with the exception of Uncle Ben's.


He was quite the celebrity that night!


The girls received the coolest mermaid tail snuggle blankets!


He hit the ball out of the park on those!
Plus he gave Harrison the coolest Discovery Books - and you know how much Harrison loves good books!

We came home tired after all the festivities and celebrations but with the lightest and happiest of hearts. We put our pajamas on, poured us each a glass of wine and flipped on the little fireplace heater in the gazebo. We settled down with our feet propped up and basked in the after glow of a lovely Christmas. Then we went to bed and slept long and sound!

Louis Dea brought me coffee in bed and I lingered long....
It was after noon when I left the bedroom and at 2:00 I was dressed and out the door to hit up the after Christmas sales.


It was a wild windy stormy day in the DFW area and that called for a Pumpkin Spice Cappuccino!
My first stop was Hobby Lobby where I got some super cute things for our place at the ranch.
I keep a tree up year round there and found the best decorations that will be perfect for the country!
Home Depot followed by Dollar General. Then I dropped by Quadville for a spur of the moment visit. Amber was out on errands and Kailey met me at the door asjing, "What are you doing here?"
We ended up doing play dough that their Grandmommy had given them and eating the Texas Trash that Mark (Mike's brother) had forgot and left there. Just so you know - you leave it - you lose it!

The storms had been building and I braved one last storm - Walmart.


My trunk was filled and so was the back seat and the passenger seat.
Time to go home!
By now the storm was really raging! I was dripping wet and my shoes were soaked.
I drove like a little old lady all the way home.
At times the rain was so heavy I could barely see.
Three times I hydro planed but I stayed calm.
Praise God and thank you, Summer, for those night driving glasses. 
They made all the difference.
Louis Dean was waiting for me when I got home.
He was standing in the doorway looking out. That made my heart squeeze.
I left everything in the car and ran inside.
It was so good to be home!
We hugged each other and then I went in, took a hot shower and put on a warm gown.

Today I unloaded the car and packed it all in my Light Closet.


I use white lights all year round and I have more than enough for 2019.
This spring we plan to take all the debris down from the front porch, paint it and put up a unique set of box springs - primed and painted - up against the ceiling of the porch. I want to string up fresh new lights on it and I have a few other ideas to go along with this.


I have rediscovered two Christmas cookbooks this year and I intend to continue to use them for the next few months. I made these muffins earlier this month and made them again today.
Tomorrow we will take a whole bag full of treats to the nursing home when I visit Mother and the other residents. There's an older gentleman across the hall from Mother whom we are becoming very fond of.  He longs for a vanilla cake with plum jelly - a memory of one he remembers from his younger days. I am going to try to make one for him this year but tomorrow I'm bringing him a plate of butter pecan pound cake with brown sugar frosting and a big mug of ice cold milk. 
I poured it up tonight and put it in the freezer.
Now I must close and go out to the kitchen and set it in the fridge.
I want it to be 'icy cold' as he requested. Hopefully it won't still be frozen!

I don't think that we can duplicate things we love from our memories.
It never quite measures up.
But wouldn't it be wonderful if we could do it?
Just once and just for this special gentleman.
I have to try.....
















21 comments:

Ginny Hartzler said...

You are so kind and sweet! And you are right, I think we can never duplicate the things of childhood. But I know yours will be so special to him! Wow, you have really had an exhausting couple days! Summer looks well,and beautiful in that dress. The picture of the three of them is beautiful. You got some wonderful family photos!! And ALL your Santas are wonderful!! The photo of Amber is gorgeous.

Bluebird49 said...

He's going to be so thrilled that you did what you said you could do! No, we can't duplicate memories, but just think of this new memory he'll have from now on. 💕 We were unfortunate to have had 3 out of our 4 parents in a nursing home. The best thing about it was the unique friendships we made with other residents. And there was my grandmother also back in the '80s. I'd take the children with me and those elderly folks couldn't get enough of seeing them! My son still remembers some of them to this day, and I always will.

That little puppy is tbe cutest thing. I know everyone loved him. I think you've had the busiest last month than anyone I know!! And we haven't met!! 😉 Our son and his wife and David & Katherine came about 4pm and left about 9. It is always so good to have them here. I cooked crockpot chicken and dressing, which they love! Have you heard of it--it's on the internet. So simple and good. I had a vegetable tray, asparagus and brown and serve rolls and chocolate pie that had gotten cold in the fridge. We (I!) I need to cook for them more often. I know when I had my two, going somewhere else to eat was so refreshing. Kristi got the dishing soaking so I could put them in the dishwasher later. Think I'll cook a roast next time...☺

I loved hearing all this post, so much going on! Sorry Lillian and Lucille weren't up to snuff. Maybe your mom will be in a better mood when you go tomorrow, and the two ladies will feel better.

And off to the ranch! Lovely, relaxing, country home!! I am so halpy you've got a "sweet spot" to drive to. It must be wonderful.
Sometime when you have the time, can you post the beef stew recipe, or did it come from the Internet? I need a good one, and this the best time of year for it! Oh, my little family was really impressed with the card you sent! David said, " Your friend really painted that in oils and they made cards from it?! "
"She really did, Dave, she really did!"
Love, Trudy

Brenda said...

Lovely Christmas and lovely couple!!

Susie said...

Linda, I enjoyed the videos so much. Especially when the children yell out goodbye and Christmas wishes. Your siblings and family singing was a truly wonderful treat. I loved it so much. A family gathered around a table of good food and plenty of love, nothing better. So good to see your beautiful family.
I loved seeing your parties and with all the family and friends. Such an honor that Pam gave you the Reaoma doll her mother made. So good Pam could join all of you this year, since it's the first Christmas without her mom. You heart is golden Linda.
I laughed when I saw the light pantry. !!! Blessings to all, Love you and LD, wishing you a wonderful New Year. xoxo,Susie

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Oh my what wonderful Christmas celebrations you had! I loved seeing all the pictures and all the loving smiles too. You have such a great family and this is the time of year to spend with them. I so admire all you do. Our family celebration is on Saturday this year and I hope to take lots of pictures to share then. By the way...my name is Pam, but truly I am mostly known as 'ma'. After such busy days, I hope you get to rest and relax a bit today. In case I haven't said it yet ! Merry Christmas from my house to yours!

Changes in the wind said...

So many people to celebrate with and so much love to go around. Am sure that new puppy was a big hit all around, who could resist. Nothing like food and laughter to make for a wonderful time for all. The Reaoma doll was so special and am sure it will be loved and safe with you.

MadSnapper said...

I LOVE all the photos, my two most favorite is Amber, she is so beautiful and that is a fantastic foto and the fort worth family photo is amazing with all of you in it. the doll is priceless and also a priceless memory connected to it.

Nancy Chan said...

So many smiling and beautiful faces of love ones. It sure is a beautiful gathering of a big family to celebrate Christmas together. Wishing you Happy New Year!

Estelle's said...

Oh Linda...this was all so much fun! I enjoyed every minute of your holiday..hugs and blessings for 2019! Thank you as always for sharing your life moments!

Arlene G said...

You packed a lot into three days Linda!! So nice that you had your children at home for Christmas Eve. I know my kids like to talk about all the things they got away with and Mom did not have a clue.lol I hope you have a blessed 2019

Tina said...

THAT PUPPY! And the Reaoma doll!! You are the best for trying to make the beloved food from that gentleman's past! It sounds like it will be delicious even if it's not exactly the same as he remembers! Hope you have a nice (and uneventful!) visit at the nursing home today and a wonderful weekend!

jujupage1 said...

Happy late Christmas. Hope you had a great time with friends and family. Yes, we cannot duplicate our fond memories but we can provide something that reminds us of that. Glad you decided to make a cake for that gentleman across from your mother's room. It will help remind him of the fond memories he had when he was young.

Carol said...

It looks as though you had a wonderful Christmas full of family and love as well as some nice gifts. I love that you bake so much and take to the nursing home residents.

Cheapchick said...

It looks like you and your family had lots of lovely celebrations. I am definitely trying the cranberry banana muffins this week. Happy New Year Linda!

obscure said...

That is so sweet of you - you are an angel to bring so much happiness to all at the nursing home, and for all the kindness that you show to a mother who may not have always done right by you. I am reading a novel right now called Last Suppers - about a woman, a prison cook in Louisiana, who cooks last meals for men on Death Row before their executions and tries to recreate their childhood memories. This post reminded me of that. Merry, merry Christmas to you and LD.

Deanna Rabe - Creekside Cottage Blog said...

You bring joy with you Linda, wherever you go! What a marvelous Christmas you had! And well done on buying those lights!

I hope your plans for New Year’s Eve are fun!

Carole said...

Wow, now that's a Christmas. I love the present game...hope noone got the pip when they lost their pick. Happy New Year from Carole's Chatter

The Feminine Energy said...

What a lovely lovely story with so many beautiful pictures to document the good times. I love reading your entries, dear friend, especially the Christmas time ones. Happiest of New Year to you and Louis Dean!! May 2019 be your brightest and most beautiful *ever*!!! Lovingly, Andrea xoxo

Joy@aVintageGreen said...

Linda, thank you so very much for sharing your family and celebrations. Very much appreciated.
Hugs.
Joy

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

It was so nice to read about and see how your Christmas, before and after, was celebrated, Linda. You have the best giftsof all which is a large gathering of family and friends and that’s the best present anyone could want or need. Thank you for sharing so much in this post. Glad that you and Louis Dean got some time to relax and unwind together and that too was great to read about. Happy New Year to you both.

Judy said...

What a wonderful and busy time you had over Christmas! I agree...the best gift of all is gathering the family together to celebrate. Thanks for sharing your family time with us.

How special that you are baking up a treat for your new friend at the seniors home!

Wishing you and LD a most blessed new year!