Friday, May 25, 2018

Critter Duty Day#1 aka Our Friday!

Louis Dean takes his Critter Chores seriously!
As soon as I had my first cup of coffee, he said he had to get down there to let the goats out.


He's so cute! He takes the three goats out one at a time.
Once upon a time, he said he could have taken all three at once and I'm sure he could!
Actually, he HAS taken all three of these at once. He said that's how he knew it wasn't a good idea!


Feeding the ducks is the very first chore for me.
They are noisy critters!
Can you see the young white goose trying to bite the smaller duck?






I had to pass the 'Crime Scene' on the way to tend the chicken coops in the back.
There's a reason the ducks and chickens get put up at night......


Four new baby chicks kind of make up for losing the duck.
It is the way of life......


Morning chores done!
We headed back up to read and have that second cup of coffee.

Then Louis Dean went about his chores and I went about mine.


We met back in the camper for lunch and to finish our movie!
Chili dogs - his favorite!
Louis Dean says it's one of the few things that still has flavor after 'the dentist murdered my taste buds.' He says that all.the.time.


We started this movie last night and finished it today.
I'd seen it before but I couldn't remember what happened.
It was really a well done movie.

Today was the day to clean up the other side of the front room!


We cleared off the table we use for cooking and also as a flat surface for Louis Dean to load up with all sorts of 'stuff' and I covered it with a special quilt.


Back in the 1970's and into the 80's I sewed all of my mother's work dresses.
She favored A-line styles with empire waistlines and short capped sleeves.
I would make up several dresses for her every year.
This quilt is full of memories of those dresses because it's made from either the very dresses I sewed for her or scraps that were left over.
The entire quilt - every last stitch - was sewn by hand.
I can hardly believe it. All hand made.

Facebook
*photo from my quilter friend, Carla***

I have no idea who made this quilt.
Mother gave it to me in 2005 shortly after I married Louis Dean but before she had the stroke in September of that year. She pulled it out of a stack of quilts in one of her closets. I wish I had thought to ask her who stitched it.


The bees are much calmer now. Most of them have gone into the hive box and the Bee Keeper will come back tomorrow afternoon to take the box....and the bees away.
Louis Dean is back at work on his utility room and as happy as he can be 'BEE' about it!!


I did one last art session before cleaning and packing it all up.
I didn't really finish anything but I made some progress.


I'm beginning to see Buddy and his personality start to come through......


The front room is becoming more comfortable every time we come down here.


It's beginning to look like Home. 
Our Country Home.


And just like home......the walls are filling up!


I have really enjoyed our time here this month - as I do every month.


While I have not done much writing, I did do a lot of painting - and this time it wasn't wall boards!


Yup!
Looks like Home!


Louis Dean's guitar is living right there in front of the baker's rack.
He's picked it up and played it a few times.

We did the evening Critter Chores and it took over an hour to get those stubborn geese back in their pen. Visions of duck feathers from the 'crime scene' kept us at it until they were finally all in there.


We just finished our second movie!
Louis Dean said, "That was a really good one!"
And it didn't even have John Wayne in it!!!



16 comments:

MadSnapper said...

your front room looks wonderful. I LOVE LOVE LOVE the goat painting. I wish I could paint like you do. I have read all the books about the Lincoln Lawyer and would like to see this movie. I just checked prime and it is not on it. can rent for 4.00 but we don't do that.

Linda @ A La Carte said...

It is all looking so good. I love the goat painting also. The Lincoln Lawyer is one of my fav movies!!

Vee said...

Oh things really are coming along. I am so glad to get a bee report. What happens to any stickiness between the walls? I know the honeycomb was removed, but is everything cleaned up now? Wouldn’t want a repeat.

Changes in the wind said...

Feeding frenzy for those ducks! Yes it is beginning to look like your place:) Love the goat painting.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

Love all of your photos taken outside! What a great place to spend time...out in the country. I love the movie Raising Helen...one of my favs! Happy weekend!

Susie said...

Linda, You got a prize when you got LD. :):) I am still laughing about it being a good movie and did not even have John Wayne in it. He's killing me. LOL. Love your paintings. Glad the bees are going to the hive. I read Vee's comment...yes, what about the honey stickiness in the walls...maybe better make sure ants don't come along now for it. LOL. Blessings to you, LD and the kids. xoxo,love you, Susie

Rain said...

Hi Linda :)

I love your Buddy goat!! :) You're so talented! That video of the fowl is great, but yes, they are loud aren't they? One day I would love to have goats and ducks and chickens. :) I'm sorry you had to witness that crime scene, but you're right, it's just part of life isn't it? Sad still. Your Country Home is GORGEOUS!!!

I loved the Lincoln Lawyer, the book is even better than the movie! :) I laughed so loud at your John Wayne remark...I've said that over and over when I see westerns...I'm a big Duke fan! :)

I hope you and your hubby have a great Memorial Day weekend! :)

Debbie said...

what a fun post!! chili dogs, wow, were they really down there?!?!

buddy looks awesome and i have never seen that movie. i will have to look for it!!

keep on having fun, i love reading about it!!!

NanaDiana said...

Hi Linda,
I loved this post. It is always like sitting down and chatting with an old friend. Glad you got all your critter chores done so you didn't have to inspect a new "crime scene" while you were there.

Loving your billy goat picture. I can see some personality coming through there already.

I hope you are having a great Memorial Day weekend. xo Diana

Carole said...

Going to look out for Raising Helen. Cheers

Deanna Rabe - Creekside Cottage Blog said...

What a fun post! Those geese and ducks are loud! Our chickens can be loud too, but not that loud! (grin)

That front room is coming right along, and looking good.

I've not seen either of those movies but I'll have to check them out!

Nancy Chan said...

Everything looks good in the country! I like the farm critters most!

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

You all have made a lot of progress there in a short time from work, to critters,to painting, bee keeping and cleaning up. It's become a warm and cozy home for you there ! It's Sunday morning here and the sun is coming up. Going to be a great day.

Robyn said...

Hi, what a great post.. Love all the photos.. And those ducks are just adorable!!

Hootin Anni said...

I LOVE BUDDY!!
And Lincoln Lawyer is great...of course, it has Matthew M...can't go wrong with that hunka!!

Cheryl said...

Deanna was talking about your BEES when she was here yesterday! Eek!! I am glad they're settling down and that you were able to prevent any more "foul (fowl) play."

Your country home is looking cozy and welcoming!