Sunday, May 21, 2017

Sunday Snapshots.....

It was an unseasonably cool Sunday in May! 67 degrees when we were having our coffee mid morning. There were storms north and east of us but we escaped! Good for us since this was our Roofing Day!! 


I started us off with a hearty country breakfast.
It's all about coffee and food and wine down here.
And WORK for Louis Dean!


I caught the first piece of plywood going up!!


This was one job Louis Dean could NOT do by himself.


Dean is extremely STRONG!


Louis Dean was telling him that HE used to be!
He's still pretty darn strong if you ask me!


Rufus came down to supervise.
He and Louis Dean bonded back in March and now they are Best Buds!


The pile of materials is going down......
Raise it up......


walk it over......


hoist it UP!!


Nail it down.
Later this evening, Dean threw one up on the other end all by himself!
I am so impressed!!! He has been so much help to his dad today.
At one point, Louis Dean said, "Son, just tell me what to do!"

So, while they were working hard, what was I doing?


Taking a nap in the girl bunk.

This is what I see when I look right outside the window of my bunk.
This is right by where we fill the camper's water tank. Invariably, we forget and it overflows, this watering this little patch. The wildflowers change from time to time but there's always something pretty blooming here.


After my nap I went down to look at the critters and feed the goats.....and the cats.


BBQ and BeeBee....


We save every scrap of fruits, vegetables, bread, onion skins, strawberry tops, orange peels....everything!!! The goats eat anything!


They know when I come down it means FOOD!   
This is Thumper!


There are critters everywhere!!


I went for a walk up by the big tank....


and stopped to read The Little Paris Bookshop right here.
I am loving this book!

The guys got all but two pieces of plywood up on the roof before the storms hit this evening.
I sat out there under the roof talking to Summer on the phone with it raining down - but I stayed dry!

We celebrated tonight with a good dinner!


Dean supplied the pork chops - marinated and ready to cook!
I filled the meal out with sweet potatoes baked for a few minutes in the microwave and then sliced and fried in a little butter along with a garden salad. I tossed lettuce with diced tomatoes and that didn't seem to be enough so I added some sliced strawberries, string cheese, onions and two of those tiny Clementines. 


And, of course, we had wine.

It was a good day and a lot was accomplished.
We only have two more days here before we go home.
I have enjoyed every single minute of our time.....even those hot afternoons.
A cool day at the end of May in Texas???
A real blessing!!
Saying good night now and it's 62 degrees!!!
That makes it perfect sleeping weather!!!



13 comments:

Bluebird49 said...

You're so blessed to have "a few good men" involved in this new addition...and to be one of the two good women down there with them. (I love sweet potatoes and pork.) Like you, I put everything in the fridge in my salad, but Ed just wants iceberg and tomatoes and Thousand Island....©!©. Thanks for blogging this week!

Ginny Hartzler said...

The roof will be all put up when you leave! So glad Louis Dean has good, strong help! He is strong himself, but putting up a roof is a two man job! The breakfast and dinner look great! Nothing like country living and country food!

Joy@aVintageGreen said...

Wonderful progress, looking forward to your next photos of the roof. Good sleeping temperature. Hugs.
Joy

Carol said...

The room addition is coming along nicely. Your food and wine look delicious.

Arlene G said...

You are going to love your addition!! It was very cool yesterday in Ga as well. We had storms during the night and when I woke up Sunday morning I poured my coffee and retired to the swing on the front porch. I think LD is amazing...all he does at his age, yes he is still strong. Thanks for offering to send me that book when you are done Linda. I have it on my to be read list!! It is harder and harder to find a good book these days.

Nita said...

Louis Dean is still strong, a whole stronger than than any man is age. What a blessing it is to have Dean there to help is Dad . I think Dean and Sherry are a blessing to both of you. You're going to love your porch !

Susie said...

Linda, It looks like LD did a fabulous job on the framing. That room is going to be the best place , once it's completed. You can get some good meal put together. I love all the pictures. Blessings to all of you, love, xoxo, Susie

MadSnapper said...

I would love to hug and kiss on Rufus.. and the goats to.. that ladder almost did not fit inside... looking good, two great men in your life

Deanna Rabe - Creekside Cottage Blog said...

The extra living space this is going to give you is wonderful! Love to see fathers and sons working together! You are blessed with the love in your family, and so am I! I never take it for granted, and I know you don't either!

Estelle's said...

This is going to be marvelous Linda...LD is amazing!!!! I know your heart is singing....just in heaven with all the animals....enjoy!!!

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

How wonderful to see that going up and get some help with the heavy parts. Your supper looks yummy and I'm sure everyone was hungry...even you! Love seeing your critters! Hugs!

Debbie said...

hard work + good food + cool temperatures = the perfect day!!! oh, i forgot the nap, even more perfect!!!

Vee said...

Wow! So much got accomplished! It's going to be so great when you're at the ranch. The father/son construction company make a good team. 🔨