Tuesday, May 23, 2017

Our Last Full Day in the Country!

We've had some pretty heavy rain the last few days and our truck was totally stuck in the mud yesterday! Dean came down to help his Daddy put the roof on and they got a lot done. They had to wait for the rain to pass and things to dry out a little bit. They worked late into the night.
I actually went to bed and took a nap and when I woke up at midnight - they were still at it!


By the time they stopped they had all but two pieces in and they had gone ahead and thrown them up on top to nail down this morning. I was happy with what they accomplished but I was THRILLED that Dean got our truck out of the mud and moved to higher ground!

 

THIS is where it was!!


This is where it is now!!


More rain came in today but Dean says it will be no problem to get out tomorrow.

This morning the father/son team were back at it bright and early - relatively speaking.



Most of the day was blue skies and lots of fat fluffy clouds.....


They worked long and hard all day long.


The roof is the hardest part and not something Louis Dean could do by himself.
I took these pictures from the top of the ladder.


I didn't get on the roof myself but I was up high!
I liked the view!
Louis Dean said we may need to build a platform up there and a ladder so we can climb up and watch the stars at night!


While the guys worked, I went down and fed the goats and checked on the critters,
As soon as the horses see me, they start heading my way.
Today I gave them cut up apples.
Yesterday I gave them each a whole one.


The storms began to circle back and they worked even when it started raining.


DONE!!!! The roof is up and nailed down!!
I cooked them some steaks, baked potatoes, green beans and salad to celebrate!
Dean went back down to his place to get some things done he needed to do and Louis Dean continued to work on 'stuff.' It involved nailing and screw nailing and such.
He had a couple of pieces of the roofing plywood and screw nailed them up on the walls to keep them dry instead of leaving them out on the ground.
Tomorrow he will put the roof felt up before we get ready to go home.

It's time to go home. Normally, I am never quite ready and for the first time ever, I am.
Louis Dean, on the other hand, says this is the first time he has enjoyed every single minute here and wishes we didn't have to leave. But we do. We are out of medicine, for one thing.
For another, I am needed at home. Both of my daughters had a surgical procedure done today - Summer had a small hand surgery in Arlington and Amber had a fourth round of knee injections in Dallas. I was sorry I couldn't be there. Yesterday, my phone rang and when I went to answer it, I saw Harrison's face! He was Face Timing me! We talked for a good long while. He had a lot to tell us. He has been sick with a bug of some sort and told us all about how he had been throwing up! Kids are proud of stuff like that. And he told me about the books he is reading and that Logan brought him a chapter book from the library and he was excited about that. I told him that as long as he has a book, he will never be lonely.  He squeezed my heart when he asked if we were going to come see him. He showed me the playground and their new swing set and told us about them graduating from Pre K this Thursday. We talked to the other kids, too, and I heard Kailey say, "My Granddad needs to SEE me!" So Harrison handed her the phone. Logan and Trystan had a turn and Logan made sure I knew how much she has been missing me! Tomorrow will be our 13th day to be gone. We may not get home until evening but we WILL be home tomorrow!
I will go with Summer to her doctor appointment Thursday morning and we will attend the Pre K Graduation that afternoon. Amber sent me pics of the kids in their caps and gowns and they are A-DOOR-a-BULL!!!!


Ever since we got the AC fixed, we haven't needed it except for that one afternoon!
Tonight it will be 51 degrees and when I was helping Louis Dean outside tonight, I wore a jacket and my cheeks were cold! HE wore his heavy denim coat!
Instead of wine this evening, I warmed myself up with a cup of hot chocolate,

I finished The Little Paris Bookshop yesterday and immediately felt adrift without a book.
Once I really get into a book, there is a bit of let down when it's over. A really good book makes me wish the writer had kept on writing and the story would keep going.
I have a lot of books here just as I have a lot at home so I'm never without something to read.


I found this one in a bag by my chair and I will be taking it to bed with me in a few minutes and read myself to sleep. My last night in the Girl Bunk! 



14 comments:

Joy@aVintageGreen said...

LD is AmAzInG. Drive safely tomorrow. Hugs.
Joy

Ginny Hartzler said...

Debbie Macomber, we watched the Hallmark series based on her "Cedar Cove" book! We are both having graduations this week! And another thing in common; we both loved Sandra's second house the best. YEAH, the roof is UP! They worked HARD! And you even climbed a ladder to show us, you went beyond the call of duty! You sure cook them good hearty dinners.

Denise said...

I have read all the Cedar Cove books and really enjoyed the shows.

Bluebird49 said...

Man, you've got hardworking men down there. I know you are missed in your city home, City Mouse!
Can't wait til get pics of the 4 graduates!
Katherine's birthday was today. We have colds, so we Facetime o we could watch her open her gifts and we all sung Happy Birthday to her. What technical stuff we can do, huh!

Susie said...

Linda, That was a lot of work for LD. It is going to be so nice for you. I bet those grandkids do miss you both. Hug them for me when they graduate...so hard to believe that much time has gone by already. Blessings to all of you, love you, xoxo, Susie

Arlene G said...

I love the quote about reading Linda...so true. I did a happy dance at the library yesterday when I found the new Hamish Macbeth mystery on the new books shelf. Unfortunately I only found one other book by Kelly Simmons so I will have to check kindle or used book stores for more by her and Sara Blaedel. Why do libraries order one book by a popular author? Of course I realize that libraries are operating on a shoe string budget these days. It is sad that this valuable resource is so underfunded by our local government.

MadSnapper said...

love that book quote and am a firm believe of it. and only LD or my Bob would even consider sitting on the roof to watch the stars. Really??? LOL

MadSnapper said...

forgot to say, yowsa on the stuck in the mud truck.

Vee said...

Such a lot of work accomplished! Well done, guys! Oh I hear your mother's heart speaking. When the kids need us we feel the tug. I know going home for a few days before going back to the ranch will be good. You captured the clamor of the face time adventure so well. I "heard" it.

Deanna Rabe - Creekside Cottage Blog said...

What a profitable trip! Lots of good work done! You'll be home just in time for the quad's graduation and to go with Summer! I know you're happy about that!

Next trip to the ranch will be more comfortable with that wonderful deck!

Kathy said...

Have a safe trip home. That deck is wonderful and will be waiting for you on your return. I know you are missing your family. I will pray for your daughters and their various ills. Besides their graduation, isn't this near the quads' birthday?

Carole said...

It's lovely how you enjoy every bit of both places! Do you ever get confused about where you are when you wake up? Cheers from Carole's Chatter

Nancy Chan said...

It is nice being in the country where you can have the horses coming to you to be fed. Working together as a father and son team makes the work done faster and easier. It is a wonderful feeling to be missed by your grand kids. Hope everything goes well with your girls' surgery. Have a wonderful week!

Penny said...

Love the idea of a star gazing platform! Lous Dean s an amazing guy, so capable and hard working, I admire that very much. X