Sunday, July 4, 2010

Independence Day: Past Celebrations

We watched Independence Day this afternoon.....I love that movie!! I have watched it every year since 1997....often with my daughter, Amber. She is in Scotland anxiously waiting to come back from their year in Aberdeen.....and SHE and Mike watched this movie today as well! I love traditions!

I decided to pull out  My Country Diary for 1997......just to enjoy a few memories from the past. I have a whole shelf of these diaries which my daughter, Summer, first started buying for me in 1985. I have kept a journal ever since.



We were in Buffalo, New York, getting ready for the flight home. Amber had competed in USA Synchronized Swimming National Age Group competition and I had gone as a Team Mom. After the event was over the rest of the family joined us and we vacationed in the Niagara Falls area. The weather there was chilly and damp.....much as Aberdeen's weather is like for Amber today!

It was like magic! Earlier in the day we were at Niagara Falls and by 8 that evening back home in Texas!
We took a cab from the DFW Airport and since I was dressed head to toe in Red/White and Blue, the cab driver saluted me! It was fun! I used to wear the jacket Amber has on in the pic above all the time! Wonder if I still have it?

As soon as we got home we popped popcorn and poured the Cokes and settled down to watch 'Independence Day'......loved it then and love it now!

Hope everyone had a wonderful 4th of July!!
INDEPENDENCE DAY!!

3 comments:

Robin@DecoratingTennisGirl said...

Linda,
I love your traditions! Have a good rest of the evening!

Unknown said...

Thanks for reminding me about the movie!

Amber said...

You were dressed very patriotic!! I remember that trip, Mike and I were just discussing that we need to go to Niagara Falls/New York and Washington DC since he has never been to either. There's a lot of American landmarks he's yet to see, and after traveling so much of Europe, we'll have to slowly start traveling the US!

I thought of you all throughout the Independence Day movie yesterday, kept telling Mike "Oh this is one of mom's favorite parts!"

Glad we can share traditions, even from afar. And it's better knowing we'll all be together soon! Love you!