Saturday, September 14, 2024

More September Days....

 I've loved every single September Day this year and we still have 16 more!


This is the turkey pot pie I made and we finished the last of it up last night!

It is Saturday afternoon as I write my journal entry.
Thursday morning I got up early and pulled myself together before gently waking Louis Dean up.
He remembered we were going to Fort Worth Texas Department of Public Safety for an 11:00 appointment to switch his Driver's License for a Texas ID card.
I wasn't surprised when I couldn't find his wallet but I WAS surprised when he said he had hidden it from me. Of course now even HE couldn't find it - but he did in time to keep the appointment!

It helped that we went to the office where my niece Trish works and they were all so sweet and kind.
While Louis Dean was not happy about doing it - he did it with grace and humor.
He was a bit blue and very quiet when we got back in the car.
I had baked cookies earlier that morning to take to Lily. That's Joni's mother and Nita's ex mother-in-law that Nita loved so very much.
When I got to the assisted living place - Louis Dean said to take my time but he was going to stay in the car. I could tell he was depressed.

I visited with Lily about a half hour and asked LD if he'd like to go out to eat. I was trying to think of something to do to cheer him up and take his mind off of things.


That's when I remembered the movie my friend Debbie had recommended!


God's timing was perfect and the movie did the trick!
Plus I bought him a tall mug of draft Shiner Bock and a large platter of food!
Three small cheeseburgers, cheesy dries and a pile of Buffalo wings.
I ordered a garden salad and ice tea.

It was a really good movie and LD could relate to it as it contained long term memories of those Reagan years. Since I knew it would end on a sad note about Alzheimer's - we started gathering up our things to leave during that part and he never noticed the ending.



Joni had driven over and was waiting in the bar for us so we had a nice visit with her and Louis Dean enjoyed that! Plus she brought me two big bags of delicious pecan coffee!!

He was a happy camper all the way home and chatted and chatted and told me lots of his stories!

We had not been home long when I was on the front porch and son Dean drove up in the driveway. He was spending the night on his way to Oklahoma the next day to a karate event. THEN - as a bonus - Ilene was out walking and came in for a nice visit and a glass of Chardonnay!


We all sat out in the gazebo and talked. Ilene got a phone call and I got a call from my Brother Buster in Kansas City so LD and son went over to the new deck to admire it.


What could have been an extreemly stressful day turned out to be fun like a party!


We ended up in the den and the guys watched a movie and drank a couple of beers while I went on to bed.


Friends and Family make all the difference!

For weeks and weeks Louis Dean has been asking when  we were going to get the three bags of peat moss and six bags of garden soil......well, Friday was THE day!

Son Dean was up before we were and we all had coffee together before he headed out and we went to Home Depot.


My friend, Shirley, came over for a tea and cookie visit and it was a real blessing to just sit and talk. 
Louis Dean even joined us for a good while.


He likes it when people pay attention to him!
Don't we all??


Look what we had for dessert Friday night!!
Homemade German Chocolate Cake that Shirley shared with us!!

Today (Saturday) has been a good one.


Louis Dean is always fixing something!
Notice he doesn't color his hair much anymore.


We have been working in the yard and planting plants.


He bought a tomato plant and six small Brussel sprout plants - and paid a pretty penny for them.
He doesn't even LIKE Brussel sprouts but here he is watering them!
He tries to gather all the stuff he wants and pay for it and load it while I am looking at something else!
Sneaky man! It's a good things he's so cute!


I'm going for low maintenance with English ivy and Mondo grass.

I'll close for now as I need to gout and give LD a haircut.
It's Saturday night and we are planniing on attending church in the morning!






15 comments:

Anonymous said...

II cannot begin to understand all you're doing through , but I am praying you and Louis Dean! These are uncharted waters for you both. I can see it has gotten Louis down, even though he may not be clear on what is happening to his brain! He looks older and seems more unsure, but thank goodness for friends and his projects to do! I am so very thankful you have caring friends and family! That means so much! Love you!

photowannabe said...

Yes, friends and family are what makes MY world go around. i', so sorry LD had to surrender his license but it is for the best though it may be hard deep down inside for him to understand. Glad you can still drive and family can step in.
You sure sounded like you had some super "parties" good food and that movie was the perfect ending to the day. I have heard nothing but good things about it.
Sue

Granny Marigold said...

Friends and Family make all the difference. I'm with you 100%
I'm glad your day turned out to be quite a good one in spite of the difficult parts.
Can you believe September is half over?
I know you're enjoying every day of your ( and my) favourite month.
Have a blessed Sunday.

Ginny Hartzler said...

It seems like God led all these people to come see Louis Dean and support him for this hard day!!!

Anonymous said...

I’m glad your hard day turned into a party like day! God is good!
Deanna Rabe

MadSnapper said...

I am happy for you and LD that the transfer went smoothly and all the friends and family came by to help both of you through a stressful day. the movie was a great idea.

Anonymous said...

Alzheimer’s is hard. I know! And it’s even harder on the caregiver. I’m thankful you have supportive family and friends. Praying for you and LD. RHill, TX

Donna said...

You are such a sharp cookie! Glad you found a way to turn LD's frown into a smile!!
I know it must be pretty tough on you sweet friend...Make those memories!!
Love 'ya
Donna

Changes in the wind said...

Thank you Lord for taking a hard day and turning it into a good day for my very special friends.....

Susie said...

Linda, So glad your sad day turned out so nicely. Giving up driving license is rough. Once my daughter cared for a lady who gave hers up, but one day the lady drove to my daughters. Liz asked her if she had gotten her license back. Poor Mary said no. So my daughter drove the lady back home and informed the family that Mary had driven. They had to take her keys. L.D. may forget he has no license . He does love working , bless his heart. Keeping all of you in my prayers. Love you guys, blessings, xoxo, Susie

Jackie See said...

Dear Linda and Louis Dean, it is so nice to pop over here and catch up! Aging is changing our lives as well. Our official move date is Oct.1st. The house is packed up except for essentials, repairs have been made, trucks have been rented and I am eating the best I can with my new teeth! The new place is just north of the Landing in Branson, MO. I have the best realtor, thehubs, and with his skills he landed me my dream vacation lake home at a price we can afford! I feel so blessed, more than I can say. We have given a lot of stuff away. We feel we have blessed so many people with our stuff that we no longer needed. At first it was hard to give away, then when I heard their story, it became a blessing to me to bless them. I feel very good about this move. Tell Brenda that the next time you all come to Branson, you have a great place to stay, our home! Tell Louis Dean that I have never grown brussel sprouts and I am anxious to see them grow just like he is. J.R. and I have got to see that movie. I too will have to leave before the ending, I am a cryer, ugly cry tissue needing mess. Stay in touch, stay healthy and keep your chin up! ~jackie~

Great-Granny Grandma said...

Though I don't always comment, I do regularly follow your posts and pray for you and Louis Dean. My heart feels especially heavy for him today as I read that he had to give up his drivers license. I can't even start to imagine what it must be/feel like to know your mind is gradually slipping away and there's nothing you can do about it. He is so blessed to have you by his side, and both of you, that you are surrounded by such loving, supportive family and friends. May the Lord comfort you both and give you the peace and strength to walk this difficult path together, as well as joy despite your circumstances, and may you always be aware of His presence at your side.

Arlene G said...

It takes a village doesn't it Linda...so glad you are surrounded by such lovely people. I am glad it all went well....hugs.

Chatty Crone said...

That had to be so hard for him to surrender his license. He felt that for sure. I hate that disease. I went to see the Reagan movie too. I loved him as a President. I am so glad you have friends and family around. They will be a huge help to you in the future.

Pamela M. Steiner said...

Oh Linda, I know this had to be a hard day for LD and for you as well, but it all turned out much better than it could have. So glad God brought the right people along to help out in so many special ways. I'm sure there will be times ahead that Louis Dean will miss not being able to drive, but it's good he has his projects and friends and family to keep him busy. What a blessing! This story touched my heart in so many ways. Who knows but that we will be facing the same decisions in the future, and I appreciate you sharing your stories with us because it helps us when we have to face these things to see how others handled it and how God provided. He's always faithful, amen?? Amen! (((hugs)))