Sunday, February 19, 2023

Baby Goats, Ducks, Honey Bees and Great Pyrenees! We are in the COUNTRY!!!

We managed to leave Irving along about 1:00 on Saturday afternoon even after me accidently letting Tabitha waltz out the open front door. I only THOUGHT I had shut it firmly!
Louis Dean isn't the only one who lets them escape!

Getting her back in took the better part of an hour!
It felt really good to get on the road again.
It had been 48 days since we were last at the ranch.

It is exactly 98 miles from our house to the ranch gate and we usually stop in Hillsboro at the Lone Star Cafe so Louis Dean can eat their chicken fried steak with EXTRA gravy and French fries with GRAVY and EXTRA gravy on the side!!


Our waitress was not only super sweet, cute and efficient but she was clever, too!
She asked, "Yes, SIR! Would you like a STRAW with that??"
You should have seen his face!
She got him good!!


I always have a margarita to celebrate going to the country!!!

When LD thinks the service and food has been great he tells me I can 'send them through college' meaning I should give them an extra good tip!
So I did!

We made one more stop at HEB for milk and eggs and sandwich fixings along cat food and litter and then it was on to the ranch!! 


YAY! We are HERE!


And I documented our arrival!
Dean sent me a text saying, " I see you!"
I think they were watching for  us.


The mops were up at our place to greet us!

I came right in and walked right down to Dean and Sherry's place so I could meet the new baby goats!


Mama goat gave birth early Friday morning!


Both boys!


There's a 5 month gestation period for goats Sherry told me.


I'm so happy we got down here to see them less than two days old!


They are so sweet!!


I can't even look at  this pic without smiling!


Sherry pitched fresh hay in the igloos so they can stay warm.

Last year there were two new baby goats but that frigid freeze we had killed both of them.

We sure have missed Dean and Sherry!
They came up and helped us unload and we visited for awhile.
While we've been gone, Dean has done a lot of work on our place and finished the plumbing for his dad replacing the PVC pipe with Pex.
He put the hot water heater back in place and hooked up the shower so it's all ready to use!
He had put the sink and cabinet back in bathroom and hooked that all up except for the peat trap ? is that what it's called?


After they left Louis Dean went in to study it and after some time he remembered how he had hooked it all up! So the sink is now back in business with hot water and everything!!!

I went to bed before Louis Dean did and when I woke up at 2:00 in the morning - he was still up piddling in his shop which is by the bathroom. He was just so happy to be here he didn't want to go to bed - but I INSISTED!

This morning I got him up shortly before 10:00 as son Dean had arranged for a mobile mechanic to come replace the actuator on the truck fan motor. Now we can use all the settings from low to medium to high whereas before we have just been able to use FULL BLAST only!

The mechanic is a young girl and she really knows her business!
She's grown up tinkering with vehicles with her dad and granddad and we were so grateful Dean set this up for us!

God is good and Dean and Sherry are such a blessing to us!


Sherry and I drove over to the apiary to look at our bees this afternoon.


We didn't suit up and open the hives but we observed plenty of activity and it looked like they were carrying in a healthy amount of pollen.
Out of four hives, we may split two of them this spring and hopefully we will be enjoying a good honey harvest come summer time!


Sherry had brought us down salad fixings and I added some gouda cheese and ham for our Sunday Salad Supper tonight.


Remmy  and Rugar the ranch mops Great Pyrenees!


Before I close tonight's journal entry - I would like to brag on my step son!
He just received the highest level teaching certificate for Karate.
He has 50 years of achievements and continues to train and teach.
His beloved mother Ellen was an amazing  teacher as well and Karate has been a family tradition for the Chapmans. But Dean is a master among masters and I congratulate him for his dedication and hard work!






16 comments:

Ginny Hartzler said...

Dean is sure a wonderful son and friend! Baby goats are so cute. Louis Dean looks like he has lost a bit of weight?

Hootin Anni said...

Awwww, those kids are so darned cute!! Hope the weather remains warm enough for them!!

Good knowing you have running water now. What a blessing.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Enjoy your time at the ranch, it's great you now have hot water! What a wonderful step son you have, congrats on his achievements. I adore those baby goats. Here the bees are still hibernating and there is no pollen to be had. It's close to freezing here in Ohio this morning. Have fun and enjoy !

Brenda said...

Enjoy your time at the ranch with your lovely family. Sounds like Dean and Sherry are all about helping both of you.

Donna said...

How blessed you are for your Dean and Sherry!
So glad you've finally arrived at your Happy Place...
It's called a Trap...or P-Trap...because it's in the shape of a P.
Thanks for the tip about The Lone Star Cafe! We'll try it out! We went to the one IN town and it wasn't good...at all.
Enjoy your stay!
hugs
Donna

Changes in the wind said...

Wonderful that you are back at the ranch and especially to see the new born goats, how fun. Enjoy your time there.

Vee said...

Things sound great at the ranch. So glad that things are being put back in working order from trucks to bathrooms. Have fun!

NanaDiana said...

What a blessing to get to the ranch and see those babies and your kids...real ones--not goat babies. Is there anything cuter, though, that baby goats?! OMGOSH. I am glad that LD seems to be doing okay with driving and that he is happy to be on the farm. I hope you have a wonderful stay, Linda. xo Diana

Debbie said...

awww your happy place, i feel like the country/ranch is your real home!!

ld's meal looks delicious, no point in having gravy unless you have extra gravy!! "send them thru college" what a cute comment!!

the goats are so adorable and those babies...cutest things ever!!

photowannabe said...

I can hear the JOY in your writing this post. The Ranch is certainly your Happy Place.
Yay that you have hot water and a shower et all...Life will be so nice for you now.
This is good stuff for Louis Dean too.
When our "kids" do so many things for us it really is a blessing.
Our sons are that way too. Older son Steve does so many things for us and Mark would do more if he lived here in California instead of Oregon.
Future blog post from me will bring everyone up to date on our sagas too.
Enjoy your time and happy times with those darling baby goats.
Sue

Deb J. in Utah said...

Hi Linda. You and LD enjoy every moment at the ranch. I know you will! See you again soon!

Curtains in My Tree said...


Hi I just stopped real quick to say Hi to you'all and check yo see what you guys are up to .
That lunch makes me hungry

Janice

Curtains in My Tree said...

PS

wish you would get on Instrgram and post short stories

Wanda said...

Is there anything cuter than baby goats? I love the picture of your holding them. You are letting your hair grow out! It looks very becoming!
The Ranch is truly your happy place.
Congrats to all the years dedication, discipline, determination, and devotion to a sport!!
Haha...a straw for the gravy...love it.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

The goats are so cute and I know you are proud of everyone in your family. I'm glad you are in the country and enjoying some time there. Look how pretty your hair is...are you letting it grow out? Hugs!

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Thanks for taking us along on the trip back to your Happy Place, Linda. Those baby goats were very cute. Gld you enjoyed coming along with us on our recent road trip.