Tuesday, March 24, 2020

Bathroom Leaks, Laundry Detergent and Kitchen Debris - My Tuesday Treasures

Louis Dean got a fairly good night's sleep and was up at a decent time this morning.
He took no naps today so I am hoping tonight he gets back to a more normal sleep pattern.


I found these pastries in the freezer - I bought them on our way home from the ranch in January at a pastry shop in Hillsboro. I noticed when we went by there in February they had gone out of business.
There's no lack of Czech bakeries around there but I will miss this one.

Last night before I went to bed I noticed my toilet - or commode - what do YOU call them?? - was leaking. I took all the debris away from the area - and I had a lot! Louis Dean checked it out and said it was an easy fix. A doohickey had come loose and he put it back in place. GUESS what he used?? Yup! Gorilla Glue!
In the night I noticed the floor was still wet and I put down a big thick bath towel and by morning it was soaked! Seems the sink was leaking, too! It was the hot water valve and when I opened the bottom cupboard, a container I had put my hair things in was full of water.
Louis Dean turned the valve off and I took all my stuff out. He put a dishpan in and I will do without hot water in the sink for awhile. He thinks he has a replacement but it will take time for him to find it.
I just checked and the pan is a quarter full of water so it is still leaking.....I hope he finds it soon!


I've had the dishwasher and the washing machine going for much of the day.
Last year we had an 'incident' with the laundry detergent and I was forced to pour it all up in bottles.
Hmmm....I kind of liked that. That big jug is way too heavy to be lifting and pouring from so I have continued to store it in pretty bottles. Summer was here in January while we were at the ranch and she was going to run a load of laundry - but she couldn't find the detergent. And she KNEW I would have plenty! When she called me I told her it was the  blue liquid in the pretty whiskey bottle on top of the washing machine! Duh!


That's not to be confused with the purple Fabuloso on the kitchen sink.


Today I 'girded my loins with strength' and tackled another section of the kitchen.
This area was hard work.
I climbed up and took all the debris on top of the cabinets down.
Then I swept up the dust and true debris and wiped everything down.
I washed all the decorations by hand, in the dishwasher or the washing machine.
I won't describe the mess of washing a bunch of the stuffed cotton sacks and the stuffing all came out and it was all just awful! I threw most of it away and used a bag of new fiberfill Amber had given me to stuff the sacks I kept.


Louis Dean got up there and sprayed for bugs and such before I put all that debris back.


I don't think I could live with blank spaces up there.
I know that must say something about me but if there's a space - I am compelled to decorate it.


Another section done!


These are my favorite bowls and we use them all the time.


I set my candle in two antique pottery bowls.
One was Mrs. Morrison's and one I bought in 1963 at an unclaimed freight in Dalls. 
I was 14 and this was my first purchase for my own household.


I'm truly looking forward to getting new counter tops this year.
These are old and damaged and between me and Louis Dean, we have filled the sink to overflowing so many times the corners are all warped.
Once I came in and opened the drawers and they were full of water.
We haven't done that in a long time but for several years we were on a roll!


I like keeping things on the counters so you can't see how bad they look.
I am the Queen of Cover Up!!


That corner by the lamp - the seam is so swollen you can't set something flat on it - it tilts!


Both the Cappuccino and Latte drawers have been filled with water more than once.
Louis Dean had to rebuild that Latte drawer!
All these drawers will be my work for tomorrow....including the cupboard under the sink.
I am dreading that one.

I want all this cleaned up before we get the new counters.
We have settled on a darker butcher block and a high quality laminate.
No marble, granite or stone for us.
Like I told Louis Dean - it only has to last us another 15-20 years!



Supper tonight was courtesy of our sweet neighbor, Stephanie!
Since we are all 'Sheltering in Place' you can hear the neighbors out in their backyards.
I love it when they are out there playing music and laughing.
It makes being isolated not feel quite so isolating.


And we have all that! 
A house that's getting cleaner by the day,
good food and the best neighbors we could ever ask for!



16 comments:

Ginny Hartzler said...

The kitchen looks organized and sparkling! Wow, you DO have the energy!! I have done a whole lot of nothing; only cooking. What are you dong with stuffed cotton sacks in the kitchen?

Beyda'nın Kitaplığı said...

Dondurulmuş gıda bende çok kullanıyorum. Yazın kış için hazırlık yapıyorum. İyi oluyor.

Bluebird49 said...

Oh I don't have to worry about Ed doing anything in the kitchen, unless he's spilling sticky tea on the floor! 😍
I know you were glad to light that candle and call it done in there. Your house has the Corona virus to thank, huh!

It is rainy here. Seems like there is going to be a lot of money spent on this virus thing. 😎I
Your bowls are so pretty!

MadSnapper said...

if I put things in bottles and jars I would have no idea what was in it. I have sprayer bottles that I write on the outside of, like peppermint oil spray for spiders. but I do have to mark them and I hide them out of sight. so sorry about that link, I have been there done that with the stuff under the sink full of water. LD standing up on that ladder is what bob does that makes me crazy. Danger! yikes. that said I could not do that if someone held a gun on me. we are blessed they can

Shirley Lancaster Woodson said...

I like the contrast of your lighter countertop. I imagine you want a change. I too put in laminate in a light travertine pattern a few years ago. I like solid surface tops instead of granite which is so costly. Of course laminate is the most economical. I put in a ceramic backsplash at the same time and needed to hold the cost down. I am happy with how it turned out. I doesn't have to last 30 yrs for us probably.

Arlene G said...

I am planning to tackle my kitchen in this time of staying in Linda. Redeeming the time!!

Rain said...

Hi Linda :)) I love simplicity too. :) And I have all of that! :) Your kitchen looks great! I hope you get your leaks fixed soon. Louis Dean loves that gorilla glue lol! :)

Debby said...

Nice and sparkly. Sorry about the leaks. I hope LD can get it fixed for you. ❤️

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

I'm thankful that here there is no room above the cupboards, they do catch a lot of dust. But my counter tops are crowded and have over flowed, I jut need to take it all off and start over. There must be a more organized way to use it. Good to get it all organized before new counter tops, Yuu''ll have to take everything off then for sure. Lots of work, but you do need them. Although everything looks nice, you do cover up things well. Hope raw leak gets fixed soon or later so you can put the bath back in order. Two steps forward and one behind.

Hootin Anni said...

Just a note (I will come back a view your post after lunch). Wanted you to know I emailed you just now.

photowannabe said...

You are truly the Human Dynamo ...I don't know how you just keep plugging along like that.
Good for you to get things really deep cleaned but oh so sorry for the water leaks...what a mess. Hopefully LD can work his Magic and all will be right with the world again.
Be safe and stay healthy.
Sue

jujupage1 said...

Can't wait to see the new kitchen! I hope you're doing well in this state of isolation. 💜

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Sorry to read about the water leaks. Yes we have all had similar issues and hope yours gets resolved soon. It seems that gorilla glue works wonders, just like duct tape! Your kitchen looks cozy and I did like those lights and the candle.

Wanda said...

You handle home disasters better than anyone I know, Linda. You are truly a get-it-done person. Like the laundry detergent in pretty bottles.

I have been organizing and re-organizing kitchen cupboards and pantry since our daughters have brought so much extra things to fill the cupboards and refrigerator.

You breakfast, lunches and dinners always look inviting! Needed some comfort food tonight, so made a chicken noodle casserole. Once in a while I have to make something that's not SODIUM FREE! I LIKE SALT!!! We got the date for Don's pacemaker, March 30th. Yeah!!

Carole said...

What great neighbours! Glad you are being so positive - as always! Kia kaha

Deanna Rabe said...

I think it’s fun to use beautiful things to store liquid soaps, and other items. Houses need upkeep. We’re slowly updating our home. We’ve lived her for nearly 20 years.