Friday, July 26, 2019

Courage, Curtains and Campfire....Thursday at the Ranch

I read every day from The Language of Letting Go by Melody Beattie and have for over 15 years.
I just about have it memorized.
I added another book of hers to my daily reading - MORE Language of Letting Go.
These meditations are for those recovering from co-dependency....and I think there are more of us than you might image.



Between the Bible, a devotional reading and these meditations - I find I can keep a fairly good balance in my life. I have learned to be brave. To take chances. To truly experience and live life.
It's been a very long journey and I am so grateful to be where I am today.
And I intend to do everything I can to stay emotionally, mentally, physically and spiritually healthy.

The weather has continued to be mild in Texas!
I went this entire day without thinking once, "I am HOT!"
We kept the windows open again last night and still covered up!
This afternoon, I turned the AC on but turned it off this evening.

At home I prefer darkened rooms while here at the ranch I love the light.
The front room is always bright with the sunlight and a whole wall of windows.
I've never once thought about covering them up.


But the camper is like a tin can and we do what we can to keep it cool.


I stuffed a pillow in the bathroom skylight.
That blocked a lot of sun - and heat!


The girl bunk window faces west and you can feel such fierce heat coming in.
I have black out fabric to block that and today I added another layer of insulation.
I cut up a flannel lined pair of men's jeans someone had given me.
I made a valance for the top using the waistband.
Then I turned the cut up leg sections upside down with the hem at the top.
I cut slits in the jeans and black out fabric and used pine cone shaped shower hooks to hang on the old hardware that is so attached to the wall I can't get it off.


I can still pull the curtains back at night or in cool weather.
When it is truly hot - I have a piece of plywood cut out to fit and I slide that over the opening under the curtains.


The window at the table is layered in blinds, black out fabric, denim and an old broomstick skirt.


This window is dressed with a heavy ticking jumper I used to wear - back in the 80's.


Above the sofa I use blinds, a broomstick skirt slit up one side and stretched out as well as two heavy pillow shams. During the intense heat, I slide the windshield reflector up behind the blinds. It stays behind the sofa when I want to open this window. I just pull the curtains up and stuff them in the little cabinets over them. We can look out at the garden, duck pen and pond from this window.


In the bedroom we have room darkening curtains lined with heavy black out fabric.
In the fall and spring we open up all the windows but not when it's much above 70 degrees.

Louis Dean has been working today on who knows what but he's stayed busy.
I opened up my book that I'm writing to the last chapter I've written - chapter 17.
The last time I wrote anything was in April.
I typed in some notes to remind me where to start and a few lines to help me get started.
Then I closed it up and will pick up writing tomorrow.


Louis Dean and I sat out admiring that 'Golden Hour' - which does last about an hour from start to finish. Sherry came up and sat with us after she got off work.


We had the campfire going and watched it while we visited and made plans for dinner.


This donkey belongs to Mr. Jackson and he was letting the horses know they were getting too close to his property!





I had gone out there to take pictures and the horses thought I had treats.


So I ran in and got a handful of carrots!


Everything looks pretty in this golden light.

Sherry had gone home to get the food ready.


She brought a platter of mozzarella cheese and sliced fresh tomatoes straight out of her garden.
Drizzled with this Balsamic Vinegar......delicious!!!


I made a salad of watermelon, cantaloupe and feta cheese and used a bottle of White Balsamic Citrus Basil dressing I picked up at Aldi. It was surprisingly GOOD!! I would have used chopped mint leaves had I been home but  it was delicious as is.


Sherry brought onion rolls and BBQ pork loin slices, pinto beans and pepper poppers.
We LOVE those pepper poppers and both of us make them all the time.
Tonight's batch was unexpectedly HOT. At least some of them were.
Louis Dean was the first one to get a HOT pepper.
I ended up with my eyeballs sweating!


I bought a Loaded Baked Potato Salad from Sam's and served it for lunch yesterday.
Louis Dean was not impressed.
Sherry took it home with her, added some chopped onion, brought it back and he was gobbling it up!


My all time favorite wine!
From New Zealand where my friend Carole of Carole's Chatter lives.
Cheers, Carole!

Thursday are like a Friday to Sherry since she works 4 long full days a week.
So we just had the best time kicking back and eating and visiting.


We topped the night off with fireworks!!

I can't wait to see what all we do tomorrow.
Every day is something different and special.
I'm thinking it is time to set up the art table and start painting.
Right after I write awhile in my book.

Have I mentioned that the Ranch is like a Summer Camp for Seniors???

18 comments:

Joy@aVintageGreen said...

Linda, your photo of the white/dark horse in the foreground with the donkey in the background may become a painting by YOU.
I love your last line - ... the Ranch is like a Summer Camp for Seniors...

Hugs.
Joy

Vee said...

Yes, you are living the life! Almost anything can be doctored to be edible รก la the bland potato salad, except once it’s gone too far... LOL! That horse in the golden light sure is pretty. He’d make a great subject in one of your paintings. Writing, art, interior design, culinary delights...what next?! Whatever it is, I know that you’ll have fun!

Susie said...

Linda, I love seeing those horses. How nice to sit and watch at that time of day. I love it . Glad Sherry is getting to enjoy her time with you and LD. Sounds like some good eating there at the ranch. Oh I can only imagine the heat if you did not insulate the windows like you have. Stay cool and enjoy it all. Blessings to all, xoxo,love you, Susie

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I like the idea of summer camp for seniors! It's fun to do something different every day. Have fun!

Aloha Acres said...

Horses have great memories and they will forever be looking for a carrot from you. Those tomatoes have my mouth watering!

MadSnapper said...

maybe you could make a little extra cash renting out your country home for a few days at a time for us seniors that would love to stay there. if only you were not so very far away.... yesterday I had something happen that made me so mad I could no sleep last night, sometime in the wee hours of the night I asked the Lord to take the anger at this person away, to help me see with His eyes and to forgive as he forgives us. I am better but not great. I came here and saw your first part of the post, having never heard of the language of letting go, I googled it and started to read bits and pieces and quotes, one thing let to anoterh and I have been reading quotes for about 10 minutes. I found this one that is helping.
Let go of grudges. Forgiving people and moving on with life feels so much better than living with anger and resentment. I will continue to read and find others. I have been quoting this scripture today.
Bear with each other and forgive one another, forgive as I forgave you... still a work in progress, thanks for the nudge. I love all your creative window covers. I have a beach towel in two windows to block the sun.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Thanks for sharing all the ways you made window treatments in your home. I need to put up some curtains here too. I have blinds at the windows right now but that is all. You are so right in that they add another layer of insulation. Both from the heat and the cold. I have a lot of windows in my living room area. 6 of them that really need more than a blind. I do love the light they give, but not the heat or the cold. I also loved seeing the pictures of your golden hour and all that great food too. Loaded potato salad sounds really good so I might have to make some of that today for the weekend. Happy Friday!

Chatty Crone said...

There are so many things I want to comment on. Love the way you re-purpose things.
The animals of course.
So Louis Dean likes onions.
If you have a minute could you send me the name of your book I would love to get it on Amazon. Okay you don't have to do that - I went back to the top and you have it listed.
Thanks for the suggestion.
sandie

Tina said...

I love all the ideas for window treatments that help with the sun and heat! Our old air conditioner just died and we had to get a new one. But my south facing kitchen with a sliding door still gets the sun beating on it all day. I love light but the heat not so much! The Language of Letting Go is a good book to read and re-read! I got it a while back on your recommendation and I think it's about time to dig it back out, thanks for the reminder! It's so fun that you have summer camp at the ranch! Being outdoors and being creative are my favorite ways to fill up my well and relax! Hope you all have a great weekend!!

Chatty Crone said...

Just ordered them!

Ginny Hartzler said...

You amaze me with your awesome curtains! I declare that you can make anything out of anything! They are all so cute! Camp For Seniors for sure, only doing the things you love. No appointments or places to hurry and go.

Changes in the wind said...

Summer camp for Seniors....I'm in, would love it.

jujupage1 said...

Great Post! Lucky it wasn't too hot for you. Europe and England was in a heat wave for a few days. It was so uncomfortable! ๐Ÿ˜‚

Robyn said...

Hi Linda, I LOVE what you did with all the window treatments and the food all looked SO good! We have had a break from the heat and humidity here in SC as well for the last three days but, it will be back this weekend so I took advantage of the cooler mornings as much as I could. I can't wait for fall..

Estelle's said...

Again...a beautiful post....Summer Camp for SENIORS...thats adorable!!!

Debbie said...

Your post is lovely Linda. The picture of the paint-horse is just beautiful! What a blessed life you live. Enjoying nature, and people as the day goes on. Having good food with your friend at the end of a wonderful day....It all sounds so peaceful and full of contentment. I think your Summer Camp is a little slice of Heaven. xo

Sue said...

You are going to have to get up and go to top this day, Linda, I am so enjoying reading of your adventures at the ranch. Yes onions make most everything taste better. I love how inventive you are with material. Stay cool, we are getting a reprieve from high heat for now, so enjoying it too!.
Sue

Carole said...

Cheers to you too! I was wondering whether you could fit a sofa bed in the front room that might be cooler at night than the camper??? just s thought. Cheers