Wednesday, July 3, 2019

Cleaning, Errands, Family Dollar, Texas Sheet Cake Cookies and Choosing a Santa.....Christmas in July!

I meant to clean up and restore the dining room last night after art.....
well, that didn't happen. But after our morning routine of coffee, Bible reading - still in I Chronicles - and Meditations for Co-Dependants - I read this every day - and, finally, of Gods and Generals - I went back to the dining room.


I switched out the table setting to a neutral green........
If I have a favorite color - it is green. That's the color of my eyes.
My sister, Nita. has commented on my eyes so many times and I love that about her.
Don't you just love people a little bit more when they say nice things about you?


I used the Williams-Sonoma plates I found at Goodwill earlier this year.
The place mats and matching napkins were from my Goodwill treasures years ago.


I love these green flowers......and use them all year round - somewhere - except at Christmas.


The green apple wreath is another favorite.
It will soon hang in the bedroom against the mirror above the bed when I start to decorate with sunflowers......which will be soon.....

Louis Dean went out to work on the his ongoing projects in the back yard and I went out to run errands. That's a time consuming job! I have a naturally orderly mind so I sifted through the list and made the bank deposit my first stop. Then I dropped off a load at Goodwill - and I did NOT go in - before shopping at Aldi!


I am not a neat and tidy shopper.
I plop stuff in the buggy willy nilly!
My son, Jesse, turned me on to Aldi years ago and it it my go to for all things they have!
Sometimes I have to shop another store or two to get all the things on my list but I try to get most of it at Aldi's. The Cotton Candy grapes were a real bargain today - so much less than at Central Market - as were the cherries at $1.29 a pound.

My fourth stop was at Walgreen's for prescriptions and hair color.....
for me....keeping it real here, folks. I am probably mostly white or gray but I prefer to be blond...... so I bought a Champagne color. This time.....I'm nearly 71 so when will I just go with what it is?
I'm not sure yet.....

My last stop was at Family Dollar - to get the cake mixes and chips that are cheaper here.


This young lady was such a blessing to me!
I was trying to buy some fragrance plug ins - I love fragrance - and she said, "Do you have the coupon?" No....and she took the time to show me how to download the app and then how to use it.
We let several people go ahead of me while she gave me a tutorial in between customers.
It works like the Target Cartwheel app that Amber showed me how to use.
I just love people who go above and beyond customer service.


I came home with a trunk load of groceries and supplies!
It's been a busy day!


However, it was important to do some baking to take to the nursing home tomorrow.


The recipe uses a cake mix, 2 eggs, 1/3 cup oil and it is a super thick dough.


It's supposed to make 16 cookies. I made a few more than that.
I tasted the icing which is just like a good fudge before it sets up!
Louis Dean ate one just a little bit ago and said it was the best cookie he has ever eaten!!
Super easy!
I used a Devil's Food cake mix but I also bought a Chocolate Fudge one, too.
Think I will make it again using that one.

I close tonight thinking about about Christmas in July.......
This is the time when I choose my Santa painting for 2019.
In the past I had a class of artist that helped me. Ruth Ann moved to her farm and Sabrina is in Puerto Rico.....and I have been thinking of doing nativity paintings instead of Santas.


My friend, Debbie, sent me this one from Casa Verde....
I saw it there before Christmas and took a pic of it thinking it would be a good one.
Her photo was better than mine.


But then I love this one.....


And this is a possibility.....

I am not an original artist unless it comes to painting from my own photos as I am trying to do.
I need three Christmas paintings for this year.
One for my Christmas card.
One for the Fort Worth Christmas tree.
And one for a giveaway......

I am open for ideas.....


Got any???



21 comments:

Ginny Hartzler said...

Gosh, you know I love both of these Santa pictures almost equally! The cookies look so good! I I am tempted to enlarge and copy your recipe and make them! The nursing home people will go crazy for them!!

Vee said...

Your dining room is so beautiful and charming.

We have no Aldis...more’s the pity.

Ideas regarding paintings? Nary a one. You yourself are the expert in that department and will choose well. Of that, I have no doubt.

Anonymous said...

Hello Linda, My first time commenting, but I read your blog and have for a few years now. I used to read your daughter Ambers blog. 😀 I make cookies like that, but they are called chocolate crinkles, rolled in powdered sugar, not frosted. Same with a lemon cake mix. Mmmm Thanks for sharing your life with all of us. I live in Michigan and have two children. Have a happy 4th.
Connie

Bluebird49 said...

I wish I had an ordered mind! Used to be a bit little more, but never my strong suit, really. I just love seeing your pictures and reading your life. I seldom miss a post, and always enjoy seeing what you are up to.
I hope Lillian is well tomorrow!❤❤

MadSnapper said...

your table is beautiful, I have green eyes to and did not know about yours. or if I did, I forgot. I got a big laugh out of your shopping basket. you would laugh if you saw mine. I put things in the basket in order, like all boxes together, glass jars, soft things, all fridge things in the part where the child sits. that kind of thing. love you miss total opposite of me

Deanna Rabe - Creekside Cottage Blog said...

I do think the Santa kissing the horse is sweet, and I love the Santa worshiping Jesus. I’m no help. I have a sweet nativity painting that I hang or lean on a shelf most Christmases. I’ll send you a picture.

I’m not a super organized person, but I do like to order my errands, so I’m not back tracking!

Happy Independence Day, friend!

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Christmas in July is usually when I decide on what to paint for Christmas. I like all the ideas you have there and have yet to deicide on one for me. I wish I had that many ideas, but alas, my mind is blank. Well we have a few more days to decide. I just got out a sunflower wreath for one of my candles yesterday, like you I'll soon switch out my red white and blue theme. Hope you have a wonderful 4th of July!

Changes in the wind said...

Green is my favorite color too and the table setting is wonderful. I love the two Santa pictures:) You had a big productive day. Happy fourth of July!

Anonymous said...

Hi from Linda in Keno, Oregon!!! Is it to early to sign up for the Christmas painting give-a-way? Ha. I'm hoping you paint a santa with ranch animals (cows, chickens, goats, etc).
Enjoy your 4th of July. Hugs.

photowannabe said...

I've made those cookies before and I call them chocolate crinkles too.
Delicious, I know the nursing home will love them.
Your paintings are wonderful and whatever you decide will be awesome.

Carole said...

I've got green eyes too! How about a pregnant Mary on a donkey? Cheers

Jutta said...

The 4th July and no blueredwhite photos... should I be worried?

MimiG said...

Santa with a horse or horses just fits you! Have LD take your picture with your favorite horse at the ranch and put a Santa in your place in the painting..
Enjoy your time "in the city", visit grands and give lots of hugs! Requesting prayers for one of my sisters - probably having surgery today to remove 2nd hernia in 3 years. She's 75 and not in great health otherwise, either..

Susie said...

Linda, All your paintings look so good. I think the ladies are going to love those cookies at the home. I do not know how much gray I would have now, as I just like my color looking fresh when I can do it. Blessings, xoxo,love you, Susie

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

I will have to give the Santa Claus painting a bit more thought as right now I have absolutely no suggestions, Linda. Our grocery shopping is somewhat orderly as Grenville manages the cart while I pick things out. And, we usually go together except when there's only a few quick items to pick up. The table settings look lovely. We never have the table pre-set as usually there's a few other things on it at the end. Cookies looked delicious enough to eat just in the photos.

Saimi said...

Thinking about Christmas in July, holy cow I can't wrap my head around that but if you need help with those pictures I love them both. You can't go wrong with either of them. I'll tell you what I"m ready for, it's those delicious looking cookies yum, yum!! Have fun in the city and a wonderful weekend as well!!
X0X0 Saimi

BeachGypsy said...

hello there my green eyed girlfriend Linda! I love green too, and use it and teal alot in our decorating. I think I like the nativities best....something different?--but any you do look great. I loved going shopping with you!--if we could only go shopping together for real, my goodness, we would have a ball, wouldn't we?! I can spend hours in the thrift stores

Judy said...

I have a hard time thinking about Christmas in July...though I did bake some Christmas cookies with the grands this week (their request). I'm thinking I may have to try your Texas sheet cookies with them sometime soon. As for your Santa pic...you will make a great choice, I know!

Anonymous said...

The room is relaxing and peaceful - green is a soothing color. Here is a Nativity thought. Why not paint Christ has he probably REALLY looked? A short man with a dark complexion and "typical" Jewish features? And Mary would have looked the same way. I have always wondered why all the pictures of Christ show a white person! We don't know of course, but I've always thought he would never have looked like the pictures we see of him. There is so much division in the world that perhaps a realistic picture would make some people stop and think. If anyone could do a painting like that, it would be you!

Belle said...

Linda, I've mentioned this before, but I really think you should paint Santa looking backward out of the back window of Dean's old red truck. You have a really good picture of the truck--all you'd have to do is find a smaller picture of Santa's face looking back and place it in the window! I think it would be so neat to have him in the old truck! You could put a Christmas tree in the bed of the truck, or some other seasonal decor!

Gypsy Heart said...

#1. Santa & the horse
#2. Santa & baby Jesus

You are so talented!
xo
Pat