Wednesday, March 27, 2019

Catching Up.....Mon/Tues/Wed......

Monday morning - or actually early afternoon - we meant to start bright and early and instead it was just bright with the sun shining. There is shade on this west side of the house until about 1:00. Then it's full sun until it goes down. Thankfully, it was pleasantly warm and not hot.


Louis Dean painted high.....
and I painted low.

While he was doing his part, I was turning some of my photos into pencil sketches for art projects.


These are all scenes from the country and the ranch.
All I need to do is enlarge them to the size of the canvas I choose.

We stopped painting after doing the wall to the right of the kitchen French doors and cleaned up for our evening activities.


I was in the bedroom getting dressed when I heard a swooshing flock of cedar waxwings arrive to eat all the red berries off the yaupon holly tree.


We were sitting in the gazebo a year or two ago when we heard them swoop down and start eating.
 They ate every single berry in under an hour.


And Monday they did it agian!
It took a little longer this time because the tree had grown back after the severe pruning Louis Dean had given it.
That was a lot of birds and a whole lot of berries.

We went to the center and did our walking before driving to Dallas to watch the quad's very first hockey game!


They were amazing!!!!


Their first game. 6 girls and 3 boys.
The coach asked for a volunteer to be goalie......and Kailey said she would do it!
She was pretty awesome!
First time she had EVER put on all that gear and still managed to skate with it.
It was hard for her to stand up so she had to hang on to the net a lot and still she did a good job. 
She stopped some scores and amazed everybody.
All the other players went on and off the ice.....but Kailey stayed.
In the second half, she left the ice for a few minutes. I think it was Logan that took over - minus all the gear. But Kailey is no quitter and wanted to finish out the game so she came back on the ice - to the cheers and applause of all the parents!


So I think that made her the MVP of this first game!!

But the REAL heroes Monday night.......


......were Amber and Mike!!
The amount of hard work just to get all four kids there and dressed and suited up is massive.

To celebrate they went to Chick Fil A along with another great couple whose daughter plays on the team. 


We tagged along and had so much fun!
I don't know who we were prouder of - the kids or the parents!!!

They went home to do showers, school prep for the next morning and Amber did the lunches, laundry and all the endless other tasks she has to complete before SHE can go to bed!

As for us - we drove home and went right to bed.

However, for some reason I did not sleep well at all.
It was 4:00 in the morning and I was still awake.

Louis Dean was up way before I was and he was getting ready to paint just as soon as we had our coffee and devotionals.

I was so tired that I decided to take a day for myself.
I unloaded a very full trunk at the Goodwill before going in to see if I could find a few treasures.


Of course, I found a few!
The cool basket was just $3.99 less 25%.
Same with the Paris can. Both were brand new.


I loved this Happy Everything ceramic platter.
The truck is attached with Velcro. Apparently you can buy other cute pieces for the different occasions. 


A new fall runner.....brand new.


Two nice place mats - new.


This is a cool high quality pillow.
As a matter of fact, I have it in the chair cushioning the small of my back.


Seems like I have been wearing a good deal of black in recent years and I found my newest top yesterday! It draped nicely and makes my stomach look flatter than it is!
I'll be wearing this in the morning.


This one does the same thing!
It just needs a tiny button at the back replaced.
I'm going to do that tomorrow.


I have a whole drawer stuffed full of scarves. 
Now there are 15 spring ones hanging in my closet making it easier to find.

From there I decided to stop at Irving Massage and get a 20 minute chair massage.
My right shoulder across and down my back, arm and even my hand has been aching.
I think I am sleeping wrong on it. The massage was nice but it didn't really help.
I'm using Ben Gay now.
Lastly,  I had a mani/pedi at Lovely Nails before going home.


I fixed us a nice salad supper with a healthier dressing.
I still need to experiment with making my own.

We were both tired and dragging but we drug ourselves to the center to walk anyway.
However, we cried uncle after 15 minutes on the treadmill and came back home.
I went straight to bed and stayed there for 12 hours!

This morning, Wednesday morning, I was feeling better so we decided to walk before we got on with our projects for the day. We stayed the course and did our full time plus some. Like 2 minutes more. Let's don't go crazy!
Louis Dean went to work painting and I worked in the kitchen.....
making potato salad, chocolate chip cookies, grilled some smoked sausages and prepped lunch for tomorrow at the nursing home. I still have to go in and make a fluffy salad before I go to bed.
The house smells good - from the cookies. I used butter instead of shortening. It made them really crispy. I'm taking cookies instead of cake this time. I am a bit tired of making cakes.

Can you believe I did not take any pictures for today?
I feel like I'm off my game.

Hopefully I will wake up feeling like my normal self in the morning.
If I don't, I'll just push on!

I'm closing tonight thinking about Summer and Mary.
Summer has been staying with Mary, a dear friend who is in the hospital with a very serious lung condition.


Summer ordered Chinese take out for dinner tonight.
Hospital food was okay but Mary has been there for several days.
I think the fortune cookies are spot on.
Mary's is at the top.....Summer's on the bottom.

God has a plan and a purpose for all of us....no matter our own state of health.....or if we're tired.
Sometimes you just have to suck it up and do the thing that needs doing....
like visiting the sick....filling the needs of others....praying and caring.

And now I'm going back to the kitchen to fix that salad and then calling this day done!!



14 comments:

Ginny Hartzler said...

You got some beautiful things at Goodwill. I love the Paris can, pillow, and clothes! Those fortunes are strangely right on! I know it is just awesome watching the kids play hockey! I have seen Cedar Waxwings gorge on berries once, and have never forgotten it. The huge flock, and berry juice squirting out everywhere. They did seem to get kind of drunk on the berries.

Joy@aVintageGreen said...

A very full three days. Lovely seeing the hockey players in action.
Hugs.
Joy

Susie said...

Linda, You know your daughters are amazing...just like their mother. Amber and Mike are great parents. They have done well with their children. Well LD proves you just can't keep a good man down. He likes to get things done. You do too. I hope you did finally get rested. Hope all goes well at the home. Blessings to all, xoxo, Love you, Susie

Vee said...

You squeeze a lot into a day. I am praying about your visit to the home today. I think it will be very comforting for Lillian to have you there. (My time at the home was short as I arrived just as John’s sister had asked to be put to bed for a nap. She grows more and more tired as the days go on. I arrived looking like a bandit because I was told to put on a mask the incidence of flu being so high just now. I was there long enough to drop off protein bars and I sneaked in some dark chocolate. Her sister had sent in some essential oils so she was pleased. I was also able to make a request on her behalf, which we all hope takes. Such a little thing to help her be more comfortable, yet it is seldom done.)

Those quads are amazing and into everything. Being goalie is no piece of cake so Yay for Kailey! Their parents do deserve a reward, but then the quads themselves are probably all the reward they need.

It comes as no surprise that Summer is taking good care of Mary. She learned from you how to do things right. Praying that Mary will soon be sprung from the hospital and well on the road to recovery.

You gals who shop the Good Will stores and find so many good things! I was just telling someone yesterday that she had done a splendid job and that she reminded me of you! ☺️

A happy and blessed day to both you and Louis Dean. (I am glad that those cedar waxwings swooped in and cleaned the berries up! )

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

It's no wonder you get tired now and then with the all the busyness of your every day life. One of my grandson's plays hockey and I got to go to a game a few weeks ago. He doesn't live close by but is on a traveling team and they played a tournament only 1 hour away. I'm always amazed at the skating skill it takes. He was voted the MVP for the season. It was their last tournament this year. Sounds like everyone is going to enjoy your visit at the nursing home. You are so good to cook and bake for them. Hope you have a great day! Happy Thursday!

Changes in the wind said...

So glad you can see the quads play and be part of their lives. Love all the drawings and can't wait to see them become paintings. You two surely manage to stay busy and get things done.

Deanna Rabe - Creekside Cottage Blog said...

I'm glad you took a day off, and day to treat yourself. Self care is important if we are going to continue to serve others!

I hope you are feeling good today, and give Lillian and Margaret our affection. I know she's been sad with her daughter dying and the situation between the sisters. Praying for peace.

Wanda said...

Busy Linda. Liife is full and wonderful. Love catching up with you and the family. Your salad looks great. Since I'm in the process of still loving a few pounds, I like to make dressing by using olive oil, unfiltered apple cider vinegar from Trader Joes and a pinch of flax seed. Since I'm crazy about sweet dressings, I add a little sweetener.

I had fun junking yesterday, my dearest wasn't feeling up to it so I went alome and took my sweet time. founds lots of goodies.

Your farm scenes willl be beautiful on canvas.

MadSnapper said...

of course you found a treasure trove. wow. yay for the paining. the bird video reminds me of the movie the birds. daddy had pyrakantha tree on the front of the house and every year the birds came and did jst what yours did. I smiled when I read Let us not be weary, the thing is you two are always doing and doing and it is ok to be weary. rest up, even the Lord needed to rest on the 7th day. we wore him out

Chatty Crone said...

I have never heard of Cedar Waxwings feeding on berries!
Four children - I think the parents and then the children are both heroes.
A lot of nice things from your treasure hunting.
Glad you rested when you were tired.
That is good for you!
The salad looked good.

Carole said...

Hope you feel more like yourself tomorrow. Seems funny to me that with your climate the kids play hockey (which we call ice hockey) - but props to them! Well done on the painting - do you think the fumes are affecting you - they get to me! Cheers

Bluebird49 said...

Wow--a full post and I don't even know where to start with a comment! I'm thrilled for your little hockey players, and so proud of their mom and dad! Gee, I wish Amber had an au pair -- she has so much to do!❤
I love the printed 'sketches", I'd frame some just as they are! And I love the pillow -- and all your treasures! Will the milk pail go to the ranch next month?
Speaking of that, Know Lillian absolutely dreads it when you and Louis Dean are down at the ranch! She depends on you so much. 😥 I hope things were good at the nursing home today. I know you and Louis Dean made things a lot better!
Summer and Amber take after you -- not slackers when it comes to dong good!❤❤

Rain said...

Hi Linda :)
Those are some great finds!!! I love the Paris can! :) We have something similar that says "Paris Chocolates" on it, I love it! Oh those birds! In less than an hour? That's crazy, what a swarm!!! I hope you're back to your game soon. I have really sore hands all winter long and I use a gel that is all natural, Arnica Gel. It's a plant that works on inflammation and pain relief. I've found it works better than Ben Gay and Voltaren.

Sending prayers for your daughter's friend. xx

photowannabe said...

I love your ending verse about not getting weary in well doing...it's a good reminder for me.
You are such a human dynamo that I'm glad you took some time for yourself to "regroup".
Hope you slept better because of it.
Blessings