Thursday, October 5, 2017

Celebrating Life With Good Friends and an Update on Summer......

Today it was my turn to visit Dr. Joe at Sterling Dental. When I was younger, it would take a sedative to even get me in the dental chair. I guess I have finally grown up because I slept just fine last night and was not a nervous wreck when I arrived. As I was signing in, I heard a lady say, "You should call Linda now." Too late! I was already there and I was EARLY, I might add! Seems a trandsormer had blown up and the office had only partial power. It was rather fun to hear the good natured scrambling to figure out how to keep the office running. Extension cords were rounded up and an old x ray machine was put back in use.....and my appointment was made to work! I asked to use the restroom and the lady handed me a big flash light. "No power in the bathroom!"
I laughed and said this was great for Halloween!! Dr. Joe had mentioned, "Hey! It's October!"

Bottom line - I need a lot of work done but it is half as expensive as Louis Dean's and I hope not quite as painful - although my work involves extractions.

As I was getting ready to leave the parking lot, Louis Dean called to tell me he was bringing my car insurance card. ??? I told him I was already leaving! He had another reason for wanting to go up there. One of his temporary crowns had come off and he finally located it - it came off last night in his sleep - so he wanted to get it put back on. We would have passed one another on the road except for the fact that Louis Dean got lost! Bless his heart! He doesn't have any more sense of direction than I do - although I seldom get lost in Irving!

We met back for lunch in relatively good moods.

We each had projects we were working on - if you can count balancing the checkbook and paying bills as a project. After I got that done, I went to bed - under the covers with the sound machine, AC and fan on - for a good nap. It was so good, in fact, that when I woke up I thought it was Friday morning!

We met our dear friends for dinner tonight to belatedly celebrate mine and Brenda's birthdays.


Louis Dean dressed up! No overalls!


He's a cutie!


We had a fun evening!


I love that Louis Dean and I laugh together every single day.


My special birthday candle from Magnolia and a fancy special tea towel for Thanksgiving!
Thank you, Brenda!!!


We always have fun with Brenda and Billy!


Brenda likes her Sledding Santa!

There's nothing better than getting together with good friends.
We talked and laughed and talked some more.
I love them and I love being with them.



My friend, Val, shared this photo on Facebook......


I love my life!

That was our Thursday.
Now I will share news from Summer.
I was in Quadville yesterday afternoon when she got out of her doctor appointment and called me.
She met with her rhumatologist and has now been diagnosed with Fibromyalgia.


Sharing what Summer learned at her doctor visit yesterday:
"Well, I have pain due to fibromyalgia. Already on several medications used to treat fibromyalgia so we shall see how this plays out. I just want relief and a quality of life."
This makes sense.......


It wasn't the news we were hoping for and Summer has probably had this for a long time before even this year....but I am hopeful that she will get better and learn how to live with it and still enjoy life.
The good thing is that once we have  a diagnosis, we can research and gain knowledge about how to better deal with the condition.
I shared this on Facebook and really appreciated all the helpful advice that was given.
We need all the info we can gather regarding Fibromyalgia. We do have a bit of first hand knowledge as my brother has this condition and has had it for many many years. I will be visiting with him tomorrow.


This is my prayer for Summer.....
that this is not her new normal.
I am so proud of her and the way she keeps on keeping on.
She has had a tough year. Really tough.
She's suffered long lasting intense pain, had her whole life change, been on a roller coaster of health issues and after one gets resolved, two more pop up. She survived two hurricanes and a tropical storm before being rescued and taken off the island of Puerto Rico.
And yet she has continued to have this most excellent thing - Hope.
And Faith.

Thak you all for keeping her in your prayers all these months.
I am so grateful.

15 comments:

Blondie's Journal said...

You and LD are a beautiful couple. I so enjoyed these pics! Happy belated birthday!

Sending prayers for dear Summer. Keep us posted.

Jane x

Bluebird49 said...

I'm so glad for good friends---and birthdays! I've had Fibro for a long time. Heating pads, ice packs, Extra Strength Tylenol, a lot of rest and more meds kind of help. I cannot take any ibuprofen or arthritis meds because of the blood thinner I'm on. I definitely get much slower every year. It does a number on you emotionally, too, keeping you at home so much! Good luck to Summer!

Ginny Hartzler said...

I think summer is so strong. Just look at all the things she survived! I know she may not feel like it, though. Fibro is a tough diagnosis, but it could be so much worse. And there are new drugs out now to help it. So now she can start getting well! I am sorry about your dental treatments! I hate those temporary caps! I am always afraid to eat or sleep. Our dentist now has his own cap machine!! No more temporary caps, he will make one in the office while you wait. I believe he told us the machine cost them about $100,000! I love the pictures of you and Louis Dean! Especially the one where he is kissing your nose!

Linda said...

I’m glad you and LD found each other. It’s wonderful you enjoy a lot of the same things, but the dentist is very expensive to share. I know zero about fibromyalgia but I don’t think it’s a diagnosis anyone wants. I seriously doubt the stress she’s under is good for that diagnosis. If she already has a rheumatologist I suspect pain is going to be with her the rest of her life. Pain free may not be an option for her. Pain control may be the best she can hope for.

Susie said...

Linda, I am so glad you and LD had an evening out with friends. Did you look in LD's back pockets to see if he brought any tools along? LOL. That working man.
I think Summer has more than Fibro. My neighbor girl has it along with lupus. She has to exercise and watch her diet. Takes many meds, doesn't do caffeines.Her combination is scary. I pray Summer can find some relief. Pain takes our joy. So for her to smile in pain means she has some of your GRIT. Blessings to all of you, love you, xoxo,Susie

MadSnapper said...

who is that cute guy in a shirt???? love it.. so glad Summer now has an idea of what to do and what to work on.. but sorry to hear the word fibro... loved all the birthday doings and presents and truly happy you had a visit with dentist that was not scary

Kathy said...

How fun to have dinner and a birthday celebration with your friends. Good food and good conversation are always nice. I'm sorry to hear about Summer's diagnosis. I hope the doctor can help her and there is always new medication and treatment coming out. Also sorry about all the dental problems although it seemed the dentist was the one with the problems since he had no electricity. I love my dentist but still dislike going to see her.

Vee said...

Dental issues? I feel your pain. But I do love my new dental office staff and dentist. That’s half the battle.

What a wonderful series of photos of you and your Sweetheart. I love them!

Praying that Summer continues to be led through the maze of challenges. She doesn’t have to do it herself as The Lord is willing and able to lead as she leans into Him. So many have this condition. It certainly is a challenge. I have a dear friend with it who can tolerate a hug some days and not others.

All the best...

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Thankfully you had a celebration to go to after a day at the dentist. I need a lot of work done, but it costs way above what my budget allows. What wonderful pictures you shared. Such happy faces all! I have a niece that has dealt with fibromyalgia for some time and she's been able to manage that with meds but also has several other health issues going on too. Faith and HOPE are so important and I will definitely be saying some prayers. Hope you have a wonderful weekend !

Arlene G said...

Hoping Summer gets some relief from her pain!! Chronic pain is do debilitating...mind and body. Love the pictures of you and your sweetheart.

Katie Mansfield said...

What a day. I really don't like going to the dentist either. I hope Summer gets some great treatment and is free from pain. Have a good weekend.

Joyce F said...

AND Summer never seems to stop sharing that beautiful smile of hers. Pray that some relief is possible for her.

Cheapchick said...

I have fibro but refuse to go on the medications because some of those are worse than what I already have and they make you gain weight. What does help naturally is exercise (now that I walk 10,000 steps a day I feel quite a bit better), and believe it or not an electric blanket as the warmth just makes my skin feel so much better.

NanaDiana said...

There is a chance that Summer can go into full remission with Fibro. I know it can happen. One of the BEST things she can do is sleep under an electric blanket on low heat (year round)--even when it means running an air conditioner. It just helps...as does drinking just a cup of good plain old hot water in the morning when she gets up.

I am so glad you and LD laugh together and have a good time. I don't think I have ever seen him without his overalls on. He looks GOOD all dressed up a bit.

Hope you have a great weekend- xo Diana

Norma said...

Long time reader here :) Encourage Summer to join "Mamas Facing Forward" on Facebook. It's a group of moms with chronic conditions- great group with lots of helpful info. I myself am a member due to Rheumatoid Arthritis.