Tuesday, January 15, 2019

Craft Project and Campfires.....Monday and Tuesday

I started a craft project Monday afternoon that I have been thinking about for weeks now.


Back in November I bought this canvas room divider at Goodwill for under $5.
It was really pretty and in great shape but I don't live anywhere near the beach.


I had thought I would Kiltz and then paint on it since it is stretched canvas.


But then I had a better faster idea!
I do love chickens and my friend, Brenda, has gifted me with a Lang calendar every year for the past 12 years. I have kept them all and used a good many of them to decoupage all sorts of things in the camper.


I did one panel last night.
I took this photo before I had even glued on the small strips to cover the canvas.


Our movie yesterday didn't hold Louis Dean's attention as well as some we have watched but I liked it. Amber and I saw this together back in 2015 when it first came out.
I still need to buy a Joy mop!! Amber says they have them at Target.


Late yesterday afternoon, Louis Dean and I went out to sit on the porch and watch the campfire.
I had picked up two wicker chairs a few years ago that I found on the curb.
They were old then but we still got a good bit of use out of them.
However, Louis Dean sat down in one and it fell through!
He warned me to be careful when I sat down in mine - and I was - and it still fell through.
Neither one of us need to take any chances on falling through a chair so we decided to burn them.
That's what country people do. They burn their paper trash and burnables. We take the glass, cans and recycle things back home with us.
Sherry came down to visit a little while after she got off work - she works from an office in her home.
She left to go do the critter chores and then Dean stopped by on his way in from teaching Karate so we had nice visits with both of them. We tend to go to bed much earlier than we usually do when we are at home. We don't seem to get up any earlier, though!


Today has been rather cloudy and cold so we stayed inside pretty much all day.
I did some writing and then I started back on my craft project.


I had to do the rest of it out in the front room and by the time I finished it was hard to get a good picture of it. I need to paint the edges with craft paint and I will do that next week.
Plus I still have the back sides of the divider to do.
I used a quart of Modge Podge!
I used most of my chicken calendar pages so I'm thinking I will do a wine theme on the other side and who knows what else!


Louis Dean built us another good campfire tonight.
I can sit and gaze into the flames and think of absolutely nothing.
That's amazing to me. I have a hard time not thinking and yet when I am looking at the fire, I can't even make myself think of stuff. I love that!


Louis Dean bundled up like an Indian - which he is. 
He is a member of the Northern Cherokee roll in Clinton, Missouri.

Tomorrow we are going to Waco to meet Crazy Horse Family Elder and author William Matson.
Here's the information on the event.....



Crazy Horse Family Elder Floyd Clown Sr joins Author William Matson to discuss and sign their book "Crazy Horse: The Lakota Warrior's Life and Legacy" based on the family's oral history. The photo is of Crazy Horse's first cousin Touch the Cloud. He was called Touch the Cloud because he was around seven feet tall.

We have so enjoyed being down here at the ranch.
Tomorrow I will wind up a few things, vacuum and clean the refrigerators - we have three!
2 small ones and one big one. We aren't taking much more than the laundry, books, our medicines and an insulated bag of perishables home with us because we are only going to be away for the weekend.
We will be here at the ranch for the rest of January and go home for a few weeks the first of February.
When we come back, I'm going to start doing some art and some gardening.
I'm hoping to grow a few vegetables and a small herb garden. I miss having mint, rosemary and my other herbs to use in cooking and teas. It's going to be a trick to keep things growing in both places but I'm going to give it a try.

I've been sitting here typing by the front room window so I can still watch the fire.
It's all played out now and so I'm thinking it's time to close things up and go to bed.
Seems I spend a lot of time in bed when we are here.
It's a good place to read, write in my Country Diary, and pray.
It's 8:15 and I just realized I didn't fix anything for supper.
OOPS!
Guess we will raid the refrigerator and then go to bed!!

19 comments:

Joy@aVintageGreen said...

Folding screen looks great - the calendar pages were a great idea. Always Linda, thank you for sharing your days. Hugs.
Joy

Ginny Hartzler said...

Your room divider is genius!!! I hate throwing away those calendars, yet can never think what to do with them. Having two different herb gardens will be fun! I think you have much better health by going to to the ranch. It gives you a nice long rest from your hectic life.

Art and Sand said...

I like the movie Joy, but I have never seen a Joy mop for sale.

Kathy said...

I love your screen. It's just perfect for the country.

Susie said...

Linda, I love the divider with the chickens. You have some clever ideas. That will be an interesting time for LD at the book signing. Get pictures. Time must be relaxing if it gets away and it 8 o'clock and you haven't have supper. Blessings to you both, love you guys, xoxo, Susie

Estelle's said...

I love Land calenders too....I have saved them all. What a great idea to reinvent the room divider....I love how you continue to think of things to do and see.....it's never boring. Enjoy your days and I can just imagine how relaxing those campfires are! Warm hugs Linda!

Vee said...

You couldn’t have been too hungry if you forgot about supper. ☺️ Hope that you whipped up something delicious. I like your divider ever so much better with the chickens...they look like you. (Now see, this is where wrtiing gets me in trouble. Obviously, I do NOT think you look like a chicken. You know what I mean, I hope!) I did not realize that you were going to be at the ranch for such an extended time. It is a restful place and that is very good. Enjoy the talk today! Hope that you learn interesting things.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

You are always keeping busy for sure. I love the way you changed the room divider into something more to your taste. Old calendar pictures are wonderful and it's good you found a way to use them. Old wicker chairs are comfortable, but when they start breaking down it is time to get rid of them before someone gets hurt. Here we have to put everything in the trash...we are not allowed to burn things in the city. It maybe all the fresh air you are getting that make you want to sleep more. but for me it is the shorter days and lack of sunshine. I feel as though I'm in hibernation mode most of the winter. Sounds like a couple of wonderful days ahead for you two, and I'm glad that you will continue to be at the camper through the end of January.. Happy Wednesday!

MadSnapper said...

I am so jealous I missed two fires. I would love, love, love to burn those chairs... we can't burn here. phooey. I also love staring into burning fires... will the new screen be a country screen or a home screen...

Changes in the wind said...

A chicken divider is the perfect thing for the ranch. I too love watching a camp fire and it is true that we change our ways when in the country.

Arlene G said...

Oh your room divider is perfect Linda. I love Lang calendars. We are not able to go to Grimmwood as Marvin's sciatica is still acting up. Looks like he may need an epidural. I sure do miss the country!!

Rain said...

Hi Linda :)
Oh I LOVE your room divider! So crafty!!! Love it! You mentioned gardening...my green thumb is itching for spring!! :)

Bluebird49 said...

I can tell Louis is Native American-blooded. High cheekbones!I
I wonder if you could paint the other side neutral and get some of your ranch pictures printed to put in the centers--large printes that you could modge podge. Is the divider staying at the ranch!
Hard to believe it is Weds.already!I
I can never not think either, and it is tiring!!

Lisa said...

The folding divider looks amazing. You did a great job. Glad no one was hurt in the chair ordeal. I used to love trash fires when I lived in the country. Due to City rules, we can burn trash or have bonfires.
Lisa

Deanna Rabe - Creekside Cottage Blog said...

When I was in linguistics training for missions, we went to Tahlequah, OK to study Cherokee. We were learning to listen to the sounds of a spoken language, and use the phonetic symbols to write them down. All in preparation for being able to come up with a written language for people groups that only have spoken languages. It was so interesting, and our language helper was a sweet woman in her 70's. I know it was an interesting event listening to the authors speak!

I like what you've done with your screen divider. It suits your space so much better! Of course, you had the 'eyes' to see what you could do with it when you bought it!

NanaDiana said...

What a great idea for those calendar pages. I have saved all of my old Marjorie Bastien calendars over the years, too and have framed a couple that i bring out at holidays.

I am the same way with a campfire. It takes all my cares and worries away. We all need that from time to time.

Hope you have a good trip home and are back as soon as you can get there! Have a great rest of the week, Linda. xo Diana

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

The calendar pages sure did come in handy for redoing that screen, Linda. The fire looks lovely and how nice to be all cozied up in a warm blanket while watching it.

FABBY'S LIVING said...


O dear friend, I love that chicken calendar you repurposed in the screen! Yes, I suppose the 'Miami' looking screen is not for you.
I used to receive a calendar from a friend too while my dog Pug lived and I still have a couple framed on my bathroom, lol.., such lovely images.
Cozy home to watch movies too. Enjoy your weekend Linda.
Hugs,
Fabby

Jodi W. said...

Oh Linda, I just read where your Mother has passed away. I'm so sorry!!! I'm so behind on blogs. My Mother is also in Hospice on a steady decline. I just want you to know that you and your family will be in my thoughts and prayers. Hang in there, the Lord will give you strength and comfort ❤️